Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 54606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: DTR's Laser Shop: Diodes-Drivers-Lenses-LEDs & More

Honestly I like the 120mw multimode osram. It might as well be a single mode. If you know how much I like tight beams that is saying something.

Question I need to buy a laser, soon!

I don't really know enough to ask questions, so I will ask from that limited experience.

My problem: I need to cut or mark some black HDPE with a laser because I can't figure out any other way to mark it. I have a box that needs to fit through a plastic panel, but the panel isn't parallel to the box on the y or x. The box isn't a cube either, it has some corners knocked off. It doesn't need to be super tight tolerances, but I would rather it be tight as possible. There are two boxes and two panels. I can take one box out and mount the panel where it was and then shine the laser over the other box onto that panel which is about 5 feet away. I need to cut this out within 1 week from today.

Jason (DTR) suggested the 405nm 600mA diode. He did not specify a lens or a driver. I would like to run the laser at low power to aim over the box and then kick it into high power to mark/etch/cut/whatever the panel. I just need to know where to cut, but would be happy if the laser cut it out. HDPE tends to melt, so I think just marking it would be best because the panels are expensive and take too long to ship.

My questions:
    1. Can DTR's suggested diode mark these panels from 5' away?
    2. What lens would be best to use?
    3. Will I need or be able to focus the beam?
    4. Is there a driver that will allow me to aim at low power and then cut/mark at high power, or will I have to modify one?
    5. If I have to modify one, is there one that isn't SMD? My eyes are not as good as they once were.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nashty,

Your description gives a very general idea of what you want to do. Based on this alone, I would say that the amount of effort that you would have to spend to configure a laser with the driver, all the optics and the beam pointing mechanics, you would probably be better off finding another solution. Many of the members here have a lot of experience with engineering and fabrication. I suggest that you provide a more detailed description of the project including component dimensions, raw material dimensions, access issues (for example, why 5 feet?) and how you are fixturing the parts. Provide pictures and if complicated, then post a short video as well.

I think you will be pleased with the response.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    I actually have a sample of that diode on the way for testing. They are pretty expensive though. The new 180mW Mitsubishi diodes may still be a better choice being more than half the cost but I will post up my findings when I get them.
    Any news on these new 200mW diodes here?

NUBM08 4.3W 455nm Laser Diode

The new stock lens looks to be a shorter focal length lens.

I will add more details as I get time to test them. The divergence from first glance seems the same as the NUBM44.

The diode has a pretty hard knee at 5A. I think 4A will be the sweet spot for this diode. It is bluer than the NUBM44 but not nearly as blue as the NUBM07E. In the middle mabye a little closer to the NUBM44 but that bump in wavelength will give it a pretty serious bump in visibility.

Power Test with G-2 Lens

Stock G-Ball Lens.

Last edited by DTR; 11-22-2016 at 14:23.

Sony 12X S06J Laser Diode

Been working off Morgans old testing data and the graphs that were made from it which can be seen here.

New Kid On the Block S06J

So here is a nice new testing thread on it. It has been around a while so no need for long introduction. Test done with a G-2 lens.

Last edited by DTR; 11-22-2016 at 14:29.

Seriously, please stop posting hundred of pictures and replace them by a simple, easy and fast to read, XY graph... I really can't see any single positive point for both you and us by posting so much pics.

Well, numbers in charts can be made up. The pics provide a degree of "proof" and even basic color info for those that may have missed that info. This said, I would trust just about anything DTR posted about diodes.

<edit> On a related note, just as an FYI: I blew a 16x 405nm recently during testing. It was only set to 750mw with a G2 lens (I don't recall the mA), but it was set well below what I thought it could handle with adequate cooling. It had been running all out for testing for a few hours when it popped. Again, just an FYI.
    Last edited by dkumpula; 11-20-2016 at 13:13.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Seriously, please stop posting hundred of pictures and replace them by a simple, easy and fast to read, XY graph... I really can't see any single positive point for both you and us by posting so much pics.
    Except advertising,

DTR helps us all so i do not mind his images.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Or at least make the pics smaller.
    A Video of the test will also not wear out my mouse scroll wheel.
    I see that Jordan did use videos sometimes. Much less pic spam.
    I think we all accept his results as fact.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions