Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Photon Lexicon Quiters Support Group

Default Photon Lexicon Quiters Support Group

This idea sprang from here http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...y-smokers-here let's quit smoking, for our health, our partners, our children and grand children.

Quit Date: proposed June 1 2011.

Use this thread to share your struggle, methods, medications or other assistance devices such as gum, patches, meditation etc.

Let's help each other to help ourselves.
    Last edited by dnar; 05-19-2011 at 23:24. Reason: Fix Dicky Link
    This space for rent.

Cool ...not a smoker, but...

Just wanted to voice support for such a great initiative...

...'and the number one reason for PL-smokers to quit?'
    1. MORE MONEY FOR LASERS, DUMMY!!!!!!

Plus, if you do it, maybe "He'll" do it... I'd really hate to lose such a good friend / great guy to dried brown plants...

word...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Just wanted to voice support for such a great initiative...

...'and the number one reason for PL-smokers to quit?'
    1. MORE MONEY FOR LASERS, DUMMY!!!!!!

Plus, if you do it, maybe "He'll" do it... I'd really hate to lose such a good friend / great guy to dried brown plants...

word...
    j
    Good point.

Come on Admin, join us. I like you have had BP/Cholesterol through the roof ($170/month medication is the result), open-heart surgery @ 38, stroke at 46.... I am a dead man soon if I don't give up, so are you by the sounds of it.

BTW, you don't get a scar like this from living healthy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc00652.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	25075
    Last edited by dnar; 05-19-2011 at 23:36.
    This space for rent.

I already managed to quit 5 years ago, it lasted 1 year

it took three days to get rid of the nicotine addiction, and two weeks approximately to get rid of the ritual addiction (I smoke rollies so this is a big part of the ritual)

the best thing to do, and it has been confirmed by my parents quiting the same way and not smoking again a couple years ago, is to quit without any external help but the will

this is the only way, I think, to not be into it a month later, as you know in your deepest mind that all comes from you and your will... its so simple just not to smoke, but take a 5 minutes walk to destress or things like that when you feel the need...

I know it might sound easy to tell as I smoke again right now, but it has worked for me 5 years ago and I started again idiotly because I missed the taste... silly me...

and since that moment, stress at work and life getting harder have driven me to smoke more than before

I plan to quit again in the next months, but things need to coincide with my new job... I need to complete a big project for a major pharmaceutical group before I can quit my job for a better one and hopefully be able to quit smoking again, definitely this time

well, i don't like the word "quiters" but in the lack of another word i will go with this one

i, too, smoke rollies. After some gradual reduction etc i manage to do no more than 6-9 a day, excepting special occasions.

i know people that used e-cigs, patches, gums, accupuncture and i don't know what else. the result is that most of them re-started after they quit. having quit for 6 months once in the distant past, i can say for sure that there is only one way. wake up one day, make yourself a coffee, smoke a cigarete and then just quit.

everything else will not strengthen your will enough to remain a "quiter". It is just a matter of convincing your brains who the boss really is.

and my own will-power is very low at the moment, having just emerged triumphant but worn down from a year long diet programm that ended up in my weighing 36kilos less and having also reduced drinking to an absolutely minimum amount

so i've done fairly good during 2010 and the first half of 2011. healthy food, weight loss and max 2 drinks per week. quiting smoking will have to wait for me, BUT i can offer my support to the ones that decide to do so and join the PL-quit-smoking-lase-longer programm

i promise to join all of you just a bit later

ps. before i quit smoking, i have to get a hazer or a smoke machine....
    "its called character briggs..."

Cool

Having given up some time ago...

The key thing I found was not having any around to smoke in the first place. I hear ya and totally get the ritual thing, but if you don't have any, you can't smoke!

So for me it was the decision not to buy any more that made the difference. The point at which you choose to buy a packet is for me the moment of weakness that should be overcome. I saw it as a mental challenge - can I make a decision not to buy smokes and stick to it?

After 3 days it was a lot easier and then it was only in pubs when drinking beer I missed it. That's what's so good about the change in laws banning smoking in bars.

I wish you all the best with quitting. It's totally worth it, not just for the quitting, but also for the feeling of mastering the power over the mind.

I smoke, but I don't consider myself an addict - I do it because I enjoy it.

I have been smoking for about 20 years but have had periods of months where I haven't touched them at all, chain smoked heavily and currently I'm on about 1 a day or a few more with a drink, but equally have had the odd week this year where I haven't smoked.

I also smoke rollies and the action of doing it is probably where my 'addiction' lies, I don't suffer grouchiness or a 'need' physically if I abstain.

So whilst I'd love to say I'll join ya, I don't have the will currently to do it - and as has been said above, in order to do it, all you really need is the will...
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Wow,quite a few rollie smokers here.

I need to quit as my addiction has reached an unsustainable level. For a long while now I burn through 50g of Port Royal in two days (approx 100 per day) and a pack of 20 Gudang Garam cloves cigarettes per day. That's around 840 per week.

I am practically chain smoking. Working from home lets me do this, I work from my outdoor area of late while my new lab is built.
    This space for rent.

You quit smoking every time you finish a cigarette. The goal is to stop lighting them! 30+ years since the last one for me. Still rolling though, but a maximum of one a day of the diggity-dank has none of the negative health effects of tobacco and it keeps alcohol out of my life as well. But that's just me.

For a long while now I burn through 50g of Port Royal in two days (approx 100 per day) and a pack of 20 Gudang Garam cloves cigarettes per day. That's around 840 per week.
    Wow!!

I buy 12.5g (half ounce Mr Shopkeeper please ) and it lasts me about 10 days or so unless I've got something on (like a drink or 2). However, having had my daughter a couple of years back, we don't really go to the pub any more so my drinking has decreased too.

In comparison to you I almost feel like I've given up! :P
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.