Working into the night.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minolta_Caster_3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	31510

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=SpitzSTP;227844]Yes, these are Cermax type xenon short-arc lamps. I heard that they can explode so I try to be careful with them. One common application for these are in endoscopy where the light goes where the sun

For various reasons, I've been using them for years. A favorite toy of mine, if something so dangerous can be called a toy. I keep a few lamps around. I've used ones up to 1 Kilowatt. I also have some compact PSUs.
    Agree ebay ones are over priced, but there is a guy in Boston, if I can find him, that sells 200 to 500 Watt modern P.E. PSUs around 50$ when he gets them.
    Steve

[QUOTE=mixedgas;227869]
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    Yes, these are Cermax type xenon short-arc lamps. I heard that they can explode so I try to be careful with them. One common application for these are in endoscopy where the light goes where the sun

For various reasons, I've been using them for years. A favorite toy of mine, if something so dangerous can be called a toy. I keep a few lamps around. I've used ones up to 1 Kilowatt. I also have some compact PSUs.
    Agree ebay ones are over priced, but there is a guy in Boston, if I can find him, that sells 200 to 500 Watt modern P.E. PSUs around 50$ when he gets them.
    Steve
    Steve, I have great interest in the modern PSU's, please let me know if you can find the fellow in Boston. Another application I have in mind, is to "up" the Starscape from 300W xenon to as bright as I can get it. I wonder what a 1 kilowatt bulb will be like, in this 4 foot diameter sphere. One notion is to mount each half of the Starscape starball (north and south hemispheres, total 10,000+ stars) into road cases and take them on the road. Do you have any pictures of 1 kilowatt bulbs and or psu's ? Please let me know if you run into anything like this ? I am attempting to morph a few of these machines into entertainment systems that will project star images bright enough to be seen over house lights as opposed to a completely darkened domed theater. from where they came.

Also, a shameless general appeal for collaborators and/or investment capital should anyone of a like mind happen upon this post. I have the machines.. tools.. truck.. and a dream. I would like to put the AVI Omniscan full-dome projection system on the road also. The unit pictured, is from the Fillmore East (NYC).

Name:	post-444-1300637636.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	31512
    Last edited by SpitzSTP; 03-31-2012 at 19:54.

Mobile base for the Minolta Series IIB is complete. First step is to add the uprights for the central core. This machine came out of Indiana.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1963.jpg  

IMG_1970.jpg  

IMG_1974.jpg  

IMG_1978.jpg  

IMG_1981.jpg  

IMG_1984.jpg  

IMG_1989.jpg  

IMG_1990.jpg  

IMG_2002.jpg  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 04-03-2012 at 04:29.

Central core mounted using the gantry crane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Core_2.jpg  

Core_1.jpg  

Damn I want to see one of these close up; you need to start "Shopping" Florida Planetariums.

Another application I have in mind, is to "up" the Starscape from 300W xenon to as bright as I can get it. I wonder what a 1 kilowatt bulb will be like
    More than likley that will not work. The machine was designed with that exact lamp in mind, more specifically, the exact arc length in mind. When we converted the old spitz into a vomit comet effect we used a larger arc lamp. This resulted in bigger fuzzier comet looking things, not the pin point stars it used to have.

You can give it a whirl but I am about 99% sure you will not like the results if you are after a good star field.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Point taken, and much appreciated ! Clearly, some experimentation is in order. This Minolta uses 500 watt incandescent bulbs. The starfield is crisp and bright. I don't think I will need to do anything to modify this particular machine. The planet cages and starballs get mounted next. These components are very heavy. First, they will get a good cleaning and the moving parts lubricated. All planets are optically reproduced along with the sun and moon. Alignment is critical, fortunately Ron in Cave Creek has told me exactly how to do this. Two of the mercury-filled eyelid weights are leaking and I dropped those off at Ron's today to be fixed. Fortunately I captured the loose mercury in a tupperware container as I have no idea where one can purchase mercury these days. The old mercury goes back in the tube which is then sealed with hot glue.

Name:	Cages_1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	31569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balls_1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	31570

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    More than likley that will not work. The machine was designed with that exact lamp in mind, more specifically, the exact arc length in mind. When we converted the old spitz into a vomit comet effect we used a larger arc lamp. This resulted in bigger fuzzier comet looking things, not the pin point stars it used to have.

You can give it a whirl but I am about 99% sure you will not like the results if you are after a good star field.

chad

That looks exactly like the Minolta we had at gates. Although I thought that ours had a 1k tungsten lamp, skinny long filament. I don't remember the model.

Any way. Neat stuff! I miss those big machines.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    That looks exactly like the Minolta we had at gates. Although I thought that ours had a 1k tungsten lamp, skinny long filament. I don't remember the model.

Any way. Neat stuff! I miss those big machines.

chad
    I found a picture of the Gates Minolta so I posted it here, yes it looks very similar. I wonder what happened to the Gates Minolta. Perhaps to the great parts bin in the sky? Even the control console is similar. I have the northern hemisphere planet cage installed on this one after careful alignment of the sun and moon gear. I wouldn't be able to do this by myself without the gantry crane as the planet cages weigh about 60 - 70 pounds each.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001-15-17.jpg  

Assembly_1.jpg