Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 43495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Star Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    This one is next. road trip!
    That is freakin awesome! You ever find that you have too many of these things, let me know!

This one is next. road trip!
    That one's GREAT!!!

Just returned from an epic 2,000 mile journey with another classic star projector on the back of the truck. This one, a rare GOTO Model S-2 fetched from an Observatory in Iowa that is closing it's doors. This was a teaching instrument used for many years by astronomy professor Dr. Edward Ortell, PhD of Iowa. I am proud to become the new caretaker of this projector and matching 10 feet fiberglass dome here in Phoenix. I was fortunate to visit Dr. Ortell while in Iowa. He is a great man with quite literally a universe of knowledge. Here are a few photos of his facility in Iowa, situated near Leisure Lake, and of the projector on the back of the truck. Since the building is being sold, I asked for and received one of the wooden signs off the side of the building hanging by a few rusty nails. It reads "Laser Lake Observatory", est. 1989 E. Ortell PhD, shown sitting atop a Lexel 95. It is my understanding that many college students were taught astronomy classes in this building over the years. Quite often, the value of human history behind these star projectors far outweighs the importance of the physical artifacts themselves, as is clearly the case here. This GOTO model S-2 needs a few simple repairs, but otherwise in remarkably good original condition considering it is 50+ years old. It came with part of another S-2 projector. I removed a few parts from it for the journey, the drive motor with worm gear and moon glow projector from the left-hand side riding safely in a padded box. I took US Highway 60 through Soccorro, New Mexico and drove by the VLA at around 2am, just so I could see the stars above, like diamonds against an obsidian sky. Current thoughts on using the 10 foot fiberglass dome are to build a "micro-planetarium" inside the house, situated next to the other large projectors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 011.jpg  

Picture 007.jpg  

00J0J_guoCPHT6xlx_600x450.jpg  

00A0A_irxy2mO0wjU_600x450.jpg  

00Z0Z_3ju4cNkfT6g_600x450.jpg  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 10-26-2014 at 18:31. Reason: grammar

Building a shorter platform for the GX-10, to install four heavy-duty casters. Then the rest of the projector can be assembled. I like the idea of building an enclosed micro-planetarium inside the house using the 10 foot fiberglass dome from Iowa with the GOTO S-2 inside. Stepping outside the smaller chamber into the intermediate dimension (the house itself, with all six other large star projectors generating stars on the ceiling), then outside the house for a third dimension (the real thing). In pitch black darkness, the effect could be interesting as the line between imagination and reality becomes blurred. It has become a forest of machines in here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4400.jpg  

IMG_2508.jpg  

GX-10.jpg  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 10-26-2014 at 18:30.

very informative content Splitz.
    queen of the nile
    Last edited by lorettagleason; 11-05-2014 at 19:45.

Quote Originally Posted by lorettagleason View Post
    very informative content Splitz.
    queen of the nile
    I am currently working on the GOTO MarkIIa. It has been sitting for over 2 years now since Karl and I removed it from Ft. Lupton, CO. The new roller base is completed and the steel portion has been cleaned and painted on the front porch. I DO get odd looks from the neighbors when they are out walking their dog. This instrument is finally ready to be assembled. All of the parts are sitting in storage bins and I am looking forward to freeing up some valuable floor space. This projector is believed to be originally from the National Air and Space Museum. It was transported to Colorado years ago in a railroad boxcar (source:Jim Beaber, Adam McBride) I doubled-up on all the timbers and added industrial-strength roller bearing casters. I have little doubt that it will fully support they weight of my cargo van. All followed up with a fresh coat of jet black paint. The new base is shorter than the old one to accomodate the casters, and all of this structure will be hidden behind the classic Viewlex clamshell base. UCLA still has one of these instruments in service, please see: http://www.astro.ucla.edu/planetarium/about.shtml The next step will be to move the gantry crane over it, and start bolting it together. Another project in play is to add a couple of RGB projectors to the mix... a couple of cases from Goldenstar and a pile of parts being assembled for a future assembly effort; living close to Karl and Swami has benefits as these projectors are being built up from scratch. We are using the RGB Diode bundle from DTR in pairs. No need for super brightness in a planetarium environment. The Spitz-branded PC's are originally from the Union Station Science Center / Gottlieb Planetarium. I stripped the racks in Kansas City and piled all of the PC's in my closet, waiting for the day I can re-purpose them. They work perfect of the echo-layla cards. (thanks DZ, for the custom mods!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4484.JPG  

IMG_4482.JPG  

Picture 014.jpg  

Picture 017.jpg  

Picture 018.jpg  

Picture 019.jpg  

Picture 021.jpg  

Picture 023.jpg  

Picture.jpg  

Picture 025.jpg  

IMG_4428.JPG  

IMG_4429.JPG  

IMG_4436.JPG  

IMG_4442.JPG  

IMG_4437.JPG  

IMG_4443.JPG  

IMG_4447.JPG  

Picture 031.jpg  

Picture 034.jpg  

Picture 032.jpg  

Picture 035.jpg  

Picture 039.jpg  

Picture 036.jpg  

IMG_4639.JPG  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 06-07-2016 at 11:32.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

wow. that's a really nice bit of work!

we should get together soon. maybe this coming weekend.

Greetings Loretta, welcome to PL, and thank you for reading these posts! It is a priviledge for me to share this adventure with others. The interesting thing is, as I find these machines and restore them, the people I meet and the places I go, the stories I hear... are far more valuable than the instruments themselves. The GOTO S-2 from Iowa is a good example; I travelled to Iowa to fetch it I got to talking more with Dr. Ortell, and discover he was a Celestial Navigator on a B-29 lin WWII long before I was even born. So much history. I am currently working on the GOTO MarkIIa. It has been sitting for over 2 years now since Karl and I removed it from Ft. Lupton, CO. The new roller base is completed and the steel portion has been cleaned and painted on the front porch. I DO get odd looks from the neighbors when they are out walking their dog. This instrument is finally ready to be assembled. All of the parts are sitting in storage bins and I am looking forward to freeing up some valuable floor space. This projector is believed to be originally from the National Air and Space Museum. It was transported to Colorado years ago in a railroad boxcar (source:Jim Beaber) I doubled-up on all the timbers and added industrial-strength roller bearing casters. I have little doubt that it will fully support they weight of my cargo van. All followed up with a fresh coat of jet black paint. The new base is shorter than the old one to accomodate the casters, and all of this structure will be hidden behind the classic Viewlex clamshell base. UCLA still has one of these instruments in service, please see: http://www.astro.ucla.edu/planetarium/about.shtml The next step will be to move the gantry crane over it, and start bolting it together.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Dr. Edward D. Ortell, 4-29-1919 - 12-23-2014. Rest in peace, my friend.. See you on the other side.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00Z0Z_3ju4cNkfT6g_600x450.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	45819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4482.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	45815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4510.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	46106
    Last edited by SpitzSTP; 01-23-2015 at 11:33.

I know this isn't "my" thread but it is generically labelled Planetarium Star Projectors so I hope SpitzSTP doesn't mind me posting this here!

I had the opportunity to help fix up some equipment in beautiful Elizabeth City, NC at the Khan (Khaaaaaan!) Planetarium.

The star projector is a Spitz 512, laser projector is from ECCS running a Reliant 300WC.

Ug, I absolutely miss working permanently in a planetarium...

Name:	IMG_2098.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	46078

Name:	IMG_2097.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	46077

Name:	IMG_2099.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	46079

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I know this isn't "my" thread but it is generically labelled Planetarium Star Projectors so I hope SpitzSTP doesn't mind me posting this here!

I had the opportunity to help fix up some equipment in beautiful Elizabeth City, NC at the Khan (Khaaaaaan!) Planetarium.

The star projector is a Spitz 512, laser projector is from ECCS running a Reliant 300WC.

Ug, I absolutely miss working permanently in a planetarium...

Name:	IMG_2098.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	46078

Name:	IMG_2097.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	46077

Name:	IMG_2099.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	46079
    your video link isn't working.. can you re-post it?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.