Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5056575859606162 LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Star Projectors

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Slide View Post
    Nice catch! We have refurbished the Planetarium and the Spitz at the British Columbia Institute of Technology in Burnaby Canada.

After spending years working on, and with, the Zeiss Mark IV (now retired) at the MacMillan Planetarium, we came to this location and really like the option of using both analog and digital stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGl1G2_jTFc

Planetariums are usually funded by philanthropists and governments, but we decided to use Rock and Roll to fund free science shows are happy to see that the public responce has been great.
    that's so cool! i wish i was closer. i'd love to see some of my abstracts in your dome
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks, if you are ever in the greater Vancouver area please drop by.

Hi MLin, Your Spitz video is really great. I was wondering if you would allow us to put a link to the youtube video location on our website and the BCIT Planetarium web site.

We often get people at the shows mentioning that they are happy to learn that there is a place in Vancouver where people can see an optical star projector in operation again, and that would help us get the word out.

Thanks again for posting it!

Howdy!

I've not read all 600 messages, but DZ pointed me this way.

While I was in Sri Lanka with work recently, I popped in to watch their planetarium show. Original 1965 projector, doing 2x shows a day to 300 people a time; regularly selling out (mostly to schools).
    Unsure if of any use, but here are a few photos:

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Wow, that's great to see. They are wonderful machines.

I know the Delhi Planetarium regularly sells out all 600 seats also.

The big issues are usually bulbs and slip ring brushes. I guess they have it figured out!

That's ok! I'm glad that you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slide View Post
    Hi MLin, Your Spitz video is really great. I was wondering if you would allow us to put a link to the youtube video location on our website and the BCIT Planetarium web site.

We often get people at the shows mentioning that they are happy to learn that there is a place in Vancouver where people can see an optical star projector in operation again, and that would help us get the word out.

Thanks again for posting it!

Super, thanks so much!

Wonderful photos and videos, thank you for posting! recent images of the Spitz nightclub projector, here in the shop. Video coming soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0478.JPG  

IMG_1792 (2).jpg  

P1020478.jpg  

P1020504.jpg  

IMG_0451[1].JPG  

P1020565.jpg  

P1020574.jpg  

P1020583.jpg  

P1020623.JPG  

P1020626.jpg  

P1020473.jpg  

P1020505.jpg  

P1020507.jpg  

P1020518.jpg  

P1020522.jpg  

P1020570.jpg  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 11-13-2017 at 08:51.

36 Inch custom made mirror ball sitting on the factory floor of Omega National Products in Louisville, Kentucky, ready to ship to Phoenix to join the Spitz STP nightclub projector. This is to replace the original mirror ball that has gone missing from the original venue in NYC when the assets were auctioned off in the 1980's. I imagine it still exists in someone's private collection, or basement. You can see it in my icon as the little pearl at the top, in the center. But I have pretty much given up on finding it. A similar mirror ball was originally mounted directly above the star projector and was slowly lowered through a hatch at the apex of the dome, reportedly by hand crank, as part of a carefully timed sequence of lights and sounds. This one is hand made by Yolanda herself, from what I am told by Omega staff, with half inch mirror tiles instead of the standard one inch tiles. A video link attached that I found interesting. This mirror ball will be suspended from box truss and rotator and be illuminated similar to the original configuration in the 1980's, instead of a pin spot illuminated mirror ball, a modulated laser source, either effect will be a nice compliment to the star projector itself. Thanks also to Larsen Manufacturing in Utah, for supplying the VSR rotator with 120v power feed in case there is ever a need to power up the mirror ball while it is rotating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXA-bQj5n9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olBk4GVmUZo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171115_ (2).jpg  

Yesco5R12M.jpg  

BN-OF611_0527di_M_20160527151644.jpg  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 11-15-2017 at 17:47.

Great story, thanks for the links. I occasionally visit friends in Phoenix , would love to see your project sometime.