Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 49555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: The LSX tutorials thread!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by LightFox View Post
    Thanks to you all. Surely, there is little which can`t be done with LSX this or that way. I now managed to get this strobe effect by my own, but wouldn`t it be nicer to have an explicit event which does all the brainwork for you ? The issue in most of this solutions is, when you change the duration of the Event in the timeline, the frequency of flashing will change proportionally. (Just a suggestion to drlava, if he intends to improve his program in (hopefully) next updates...)
    there are updates and improvements being added all the time. please send an email to drlava (or a pm to me) describing exactly how the effect would work.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    there are updates and improvements being added all the time. please send an email to drlava (or a pm to me) describing exactly how the effect would work.
    here's the response from drlava on implementing the requested strobe effect. posting it here so others can learn.

[00:02] <drlava> symmetry = 0;result = sqr2(Phase*Phase*2,symmetry)*0.5+0.5
    [00:02] <drlava> adjust symmetry above or below zero to change the duty cycle
    [00:02] <drlava> use this in an intensity event
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Why does he do phase*phase*2? That would be etimeČ*8*piČ... the strobe frequency would go faster as the event progresses. If you want to use a constant strobe frequency use
    Code:
    frequency=10; 
    symmetry=0;
    result=sqr2(phase*frequency,symmetry)*0.5+0.5
    (if the event is one second long, the frequency value will be the actual frequency, otherwise the actual frequency will be frequency variable value / event duration)

i hope you're not asking me... i didn't even know there was a symmetry function.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Why does he do phase*phase*2? That would be etimeČ*8*piČ... the strobe frequency would go faster as the event progresses. If you want to use a constant strobe frequency use
    Code:
    frequency=10; 
    symmetry=0;
    result=sqr2(phase*frequency,symmetry)*0.5+0.5
    (if the event is one second long, the frequency value will be the actual frequency, otherwise the actual frequency will be frequency variable value / event duration)

There is no symmetry function. The "=" operator assigns a value to a variable.

Code:
    frequency = 10;
    symmetry = 0;
    This just assigns the value '10' to a variable called 'frequency' and the value '0' to the variable 'symmetry'. These variables are used in the last line:

Code:
    result=sqr2(phase*frequency, symmetry)*0.5+0.5
    which is then equivalent to:

Code:
    result=sqr2(phase*10, 0)*0.5+0.5
    It doesn't matter what you name them. As long as you don't overwrite LSX variables (x, y, z, idx, etime, time, phase and so on) you're free to name them as you want. There's no need to initialise variables and you don't even need to assign them if you want. Every variable is '0' by default. So, the "symmetry = 0" line is not necessary to make that expression work, if you remove it completely it won't change anything. There won't be an error on the last line because 'symmetry' is undefined, it would just assume its default value of 0. But of course that would not make it obvious that that is something you can play around with.

and from our LSX discussion on the #photonlexicon irc channel:

[10:13] <swamidog> cmb.. what's the "symmetry" function?
    [10:13] <swamidog> in lsx
    [10:13] <cmb___> the duty cycle of the square wave
    [10:13] <swamidog> oh ok
    [10:13] <cmb___> set symmetry=mousex
    [10:14] <dkumpula> hehee . . cmb said doody-cycle!
    [10:14] <swamidog> heheheeh
    [10:15] <cmb___> damn lsx and its oscillatory movements!

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    There is no symmetry function. The "=" operator assigns a value to a variable.

Code:
    frequency = 10;
    symmetry = 0;
    This just assigns the value '10' to a variable called 'frequency' and the value '0' to the variable 'symmetry'. These variables are used in the last line:

Code:
    result=sqr2(phase*frequency, symmetry)*0.5+0.5
    which is then equivalent to:

Code:
    result=sqr2(phase*10, 0)*0.5+0.5
    It doesn't matter what you name them. As long as you don't overwrite LSX variables (x, y, z, idx, etime, time, phase and so on) you're free to name them as you want. There's no need to initialise variables and you don't even need to assign them if you want. Every variable is '0' by default. So, the "symmetry = 0" line is not necessary to make that expression work, if you remove it completely it won't change anything. There won't be an error on the last line because 'symmetry' is undefined, it would just assume its default value of 0. But of course that would not make it obvious that that is something you can play around with.

Still doesn't solve the OP desire to stretch the event and still maintain the same strobe frequency. I don't see how to accomplish what OP is asking either as one of the main "features" of LSX is stretching the events to speed up and slow down the action.

Quote Originally Posted by LightFox View Post
    ... The issue in most of this solutions is, when you change the duration of the Event in the timeline, the frequency of flashing will change proportionally. (Just a suggestion to drlava, if he intends to improve his program in (hopefully) next updates...)
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Then use time instead of etime.

Code:
    frequency=4;
    result=sqr2(2*pi*frequency*time*0.001,0)*0.5+0.5
    This makes the frequency completely independent of event length and playback speed. It will strobe even when the show is paused over the event. But the frequency is now the actual strobe frequency no matter what you do.

sqr2(Phase*Phase*2,symmetry)*0.5+0.5
    This will do a nice trick, I surely will use it later.
    This makes the frequency completely independent of event length and playback speed. It will strobe even when the show is paused over the event. But the frequency is now the actual strobe frequency no matter what you do.
    Yes, that`s what I got in mind. Now wrap things all together in an event, and I will be totally happy.

Just place an intensity event, set lower limit to 0, set type of animation to expression and paste those two lines into the expression box.