Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Scannermax 506s

pretty cool thanks for sharing.

It's nice that these things are sooo small, but is there an option for an equally itty bitty power supply to power them?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    It's nice that these things are sooo small, but is there an option for an equally itty bitty power supply to power them?
    One gotcha.

Itty Bitty switching power supplies usually have itty bitty filter capacitors which limit the response of your galvo amps. One should not have too little capacitance. I like at least 8000 microfarads of surge capability close to the amp. Galvo amps can draw 4-5-6 amps of peak surge for short periods of time. So you need good caps and thick wiring, especially the ground trace. Now I'm going to have the blasted country song lyric in my head all day "Its all right to be itty bitty......" Ouch :-)

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    One gotcha.

Itty Bitty switching power supplies usually have itty bitty filter capacitors which limit the response of your galvo amps. One should not have too little capacitance. I like at least 8000 microfarads of surge capability close to the amp. Galvo amps can draw 4-5-6 amps of peak surge for short periods of time. So you need good caps and thick wiring, especially the ground trace. Now I'm going to have the blasted country song lyric in my head all day "Its all right to be itty bitty......" Ouch :-)

Steve
    Do you have any power supply recommendations?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Meanwell or Lambda switchers with added external filter caps. If an amp specification calls for a 2 Amp PSU, buy a 4 Amp and so forth.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Traco Power TOP-60 or TOP-100 are pretty good too, small footprint, very good efficiency and reliability, and cheap

KVANT are now selling these scanners with their driver. PM me if anyone wants pricing
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Kit sourced some pretty-tiny ones, and they look quite robust.. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...794#post260794

...We've used 'EOS' with great-success in the past.. http://www.onlinecomponents.com/eos-...tml?p=43406328 A bit 'pricey', ya, but.. As you always hear me preaching about 'spending on your Pj'... "Pay now.. or pay later"..

..The EOS' are very hi-quality, super, super well-designed, and last forever 'n 1/2.. And.. size? You can get 24V up to 6.25A in a 3" x 5" x 1" package... For 'less thirsty' amps, you can get 24V up to 2.5A in a 2" x 4" x 1" pkg.. Pretty-sure that's 'itty-bitty'..

fwiw..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 03-23-2014 at 13:39.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I saw this in an earlier post but searching through the thread I didn't see anyone pick up on it:

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    All scanners in the Saturn family are electrically compatible and use the same connector. They are also similar in size (except Saturn 5 which is pretty long). The Compact 506 "Pro" uses the same connector as Saturn as well, since the connector is really married to the position sensor board.
    Bill mentions 'The Compact 506 "Pro" '. Does that suggest there are more than one version of the 506 and if so what are the specs of the non Pro version(s)?
    Cheers

Colin.

Anyone wanting to be a politician, should automatically be excluded from being one!

Yes, the 'Pro' uses the same position sensor as the Saturn family, so is more accurate.
    It was covered in some thread, either this one or the one that was the precursor to this one (before Steve and I got ours)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.