Page 80 of 88 FirstFirst ... 70767778798081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: Scannermax 506s

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Most of the stuff we buy here is not a complete product.
    I agree, where does the "complete product" line get drawn? If someone wants a complete product, then buy a complete laser from Kvant, Lightspace, Laserworld, whoever meets your needs. Typically the hobbyists in any industry like doing their builds piece by piece... I'm not a laserist in my spare time and my hobbies include 4x4 mud trucks and Monster trucks; whenever i build something I build it piece by piece because for me, as a hobbyist, thats half the fun.

Regardless, the projects are coming along well, perhaps not at the speed everyone wants to see them, but they are certainly making progress! We post incremental updates in here because of the sheer number of calls and emails we get from both hobbyists and OEMs asking for product status; many of them being members of this forum.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

by all means call me out if you think I'm wrong, I would never claim to always be right

were not talking hobby here, were talking professional company selling a professional product.

I have a pair of 506 here and had to wait 2-3 months for them there was the faff of getting drivers and getting them tuned by pangolin.
    sourcing parts for projectors is pretty easy, sourcing amps for scanners isn't so easy. not even sure I know anywhere that sells just scanners amps

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I have to slightly call you out on this one, Andy. Most of the stuff we buy here is not a complete product. All the diodes from DTR, the drivers from Lava and SBK, all the optical and mechanical bits from LSP, kinematics I bought from you, wiring, power supplies, aluminum, and about 100 other things... all components to build a final product. That's what the hobby market is. You either buy a completed pro unit or you piece it together. As a hobbyist, part of the hobby game is DIY. Are galvos the only part of the lot that are not allowed to be pieced together?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I don't feel like these scanners have been pushed on anyone. As far as I know, all of the group buying and selling related to these scanners has been from non-Pangolin people. But I do agree that it really isn't sensible to offer galvos to hobbyists without amps since they are far from plug-n-play. Obviously, by doing so there have been some major headaches that are well documented on this forum. Pangolin does look a bit like hype central sometimes, when I think of such things as beam-brush, the "home depot" laser product, and these scanners. I'm not necessarily complaining. I'd rather hear about potential products than not. I get what andy_con is saying about the delays - if you're going to promise something awesome and it never comes (or takes a very long time) you look a little lame, especially when others are offering comparable products already.
    Last edited by JohnYayas; 11-11-2015 at 16:29.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    ... Pangolin does look a bit like hype central sometimes, when I think of such things as beam-brush, the "home depot" laser product, and these scanners. I'm not necessarily complaining. I'd rather here about potential products than not. I get what andy_con is saying about the delays - if you're going to promise something awesome and it never comes (or takes a very long time) you look a little lame, especially when others are offering comparable products already.
    Exactly my gripe!
    I put off buying things because of the promises... don't get me wrong, if these are half as good as the hype then they'll be well worth the wait. However... you'll forgive me for getting a bit cross when you consider that all we get is "they're coming" "here's a cool pic... See they're nearly here" etc etc from Pangolin.
    I've held off buying bits for a long time now due to the "it's almost here" stuff (and other personal reasons) but am now getting a bit tired of waiting.
    I need to progress things forward soon.
    So, are they really "nearly here" or is this more "wait and see how great they'll be?"
    Are we talking Q1 2016? Later? Sooner? What?
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

who is Ed Keefe ????

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    who is Ed Keefe ????
    The guy that worked with DZ on the ILDA splitter thing.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'm with Wookie. While I am fully cognizant of the fact that "Pangolin time" is different that "real time" and have learned to accept that, these in particular have taken a LONG time with a number of "will be ready by" dates. (I know some of the reasons though, as Bill explained some of the history at FLEM. There have been more than a few hurdles.)
    Ryan... what OEM has Saturns with DSP amps? Are you actually saying there is a projector on the market publicly one can buy with Saturns and a DSP amp? Thus far I've only seen projectors advertised with the 506. You stated they've been delivered to OEM's now for years.
    Thus far I've only seen the 506's in the wild.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 11-12-2015 at 06:51.
    PM Sent...

Damn I drooled on my ipad✌�� nice!

I've got two 506's siting on a shelf right now, due to lack of proper amps. The Dt40 amp mod worked initially, but the setup was unstable, and the amps tripped constantly, even after extensive tuning. The X-Laser amp worked fine, but would not provide the juice for the wide beams that I was using in my shows. I ended up replacing them both with PT-A40's which worked right out of the box. I would love to stick the 506's in two new projectors--but I'm going to wait until Pango releases the amps to the DIY crowd.

[QUOTE=Fearless;321499]I've got two 506's siting on a shelf right now, due to lack of proper amps. The Dt40 amp mod worked initially, but the setup was unstable, and the amps tripped constantly, even after extensive tuning. The X-Laser amp worked fine, but would not provide the juice for the wide beams that I was using in my shows. I ended up replacing them both with PT-A40's which worked right out of the box... [\QUOTE]

Exactly my point.
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?