Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DMX control with QS or LSX?

We sometimes play 'follow the leader' on colours between lighting, laser and video ops. Thats when you find out about pallete limitations of your projector.
    http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems
    http://www.frikkinlazors.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    We sometimes play 'follow the leader' on colours between lighting, laser and video ops. Thats when you find out about pallete limitations of your projector.
    Hence the excitement with nice linear all diode systems?

Indeed that sounds interesting. You also obviously understand ChamSys very well, Norty. I like you already! I've only used Quickshow thus far, and I do find it limiting, as one is supposed to with entry level SW. I haven't looked at the more expensive packages yet, as QS and a FB3 came with the lasers I bought. On the shows I've done so far, it's the laser puter running lasers, and the lighting puter running lights.

In Quickshow, an Enttec DMX Pro can be configured as a DMX IN, turning the computer/software/laser into a DMX fixture. This is cool, but all I can do is pick from patterns. QS doesn't have a DMX input command that says "do what your doing, just make it all blue now". Or "red". or "run this QuickFX". But by being the guy running both computers, I can make it look coordinated. Kill the lights and work the laser hard, or kill the laser and work the lights hard. Keep the dynamics of all photon activity correlated the the music dynamics. Live. It's fun. I think I could do it smoother once I graduate from Quickshow.

I love ChamSys and will never go back to Freestyler. But Freestyler is where I started and I do recommend it to others to try at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    Does freestyler have some automation in this regard?
    Although I'm rusty on Freestyler anymore, I believe the answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity6 View Post
    QS doesn't have a DMX input command that says "do what your doing, just make it all blue now". Or "red".
    That should be possible. If you manually setup a cue with the keyboard, mouse, touch-screen, etc. and then ONLY MOVE the DMX slider to control color in QS, then it should do what you wrote above.

By the way, we support both Enttec and DMX King. It's the same thing and we found that it's possible to load firmware from one into the other with no problem! (seems like someone copied someone else...)

Bill

Blog Entries

Build the OpenDMX interface. It's very cheap and should work with any enttec supporting software.
    Custom laser graphics, custom beamshows and more!
    Youtube

what does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    By the way, we support both Enttec and DMX King. It's the same thing and we found that it's possible to load firmware from one into the other with no problem! (seems like someone copied someone else...)

Bill
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

That should be possible.

Bill
    Well, so it is. Although I haven't connected it all up and tried it yet, I've re-studied the capabilities in Quickshow, and I stand corrected. Still learning, that's why I'm here!

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    what does this mean?
    DMX King supplied us with updated firmware for their board. We loaded it and tested it. Then, just out of curiosity we used their app and loaded the same firmware into the ENTTEC and it worked. I can say the same thing vice-versa. (And by the way, we have new firmware for the ENTTEC that works better... ) I was surprised by all of this, and it was Aaron in our office who discovered it.

To me it means that the one design is a copy of the other design. But as I understand it (and I don't know all of the history so I may very well misunderstand it), ENTTEC has an open-source project too as well as these "paid" products. It could be that the open-source project came first, and the paid one came later, making it very easy to duplicate since all of the schematics, firmware, etc. etc. and so on were already public.

Bill

cool. thanks for the clarification. as a tech person, i'm always interested in how code propagates.

DMX King supplied us with updated firmware for their board. We loaded it and tested it. Then, just out of curiosity we used their app and loaded the same firmware into the ENTTEC and it worked. I can say the same thing vice-versa. (And by the way, we have new firmware for the ENTTEC that works better... ) I was surprised by all of this, and it was Aaron in our office who discovered it.

To me it means that the one design is a copy of the other design. But as I understand it (and I don't know all of the history so I may very well misunderstand it), ENTTEC has an open-source project too as well as these "paid" products. It could be that the open-source project came first, and the paid one came later, making it very easy to duplicate since all of the schematics, firmware, etc. etc. and so on were already public.

Bill
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    cool. thanks for the clarification. as a tech person, i'm always interested in how code propagates.
    Yes, well, me too, but being somewhat of a misanthrope, I am often disappointed by this. After all, sometimes the guy doing the copying has either better marketing or worst ethics (or both), and never acknowledges the original person whom they copied.

For example, I am always disappointed when customers are amazed by some of the features our competitors have (but who have no access to Pangolin software) and believe the competitor must have come up with the idea themselves. This is even worst (for me) at trade shows, when these customers come to our tradeshow booth and say something like "AHA you have that **too**????". Yes, we have it "too" and in fact, we're the guys who invented it!! But such is the way of the world...

For decades I always wondered what Steve Jobs and the Mac users were complaining about. Microsoft Windows had features, and the Mac had them **too**. It wasn't until I got a Mac myself and then started looking into the history that I discovered that "yes, we have it too, and in fact we're the guys who invented it" really started with Apple. (Or at least those are the guys who commercialized it, since the very very very first was actually people at Xerox PARC, or were they???)

I do wish that there was greater awareness of exactly who came up with what first. I was always frustrated when competitors touted "new features" and never acknowledged where they got the ideas for those "new features". Eventually we started patenting things, if, for no other reason, to establish an undeniable public record of exactly who thought of what, and when...

Bill

Just excavated this thread and think the initial question is still unanswered. Maybe needs a little update. Which present dmx controllers are supported by LSX ? Got an Medialas hyperport pro with integrated DMX port, but couldn`t manage to get it working with LSX. Do I need a special .dll library or in addition an extra Enttec interface ?

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

LSX isn't particularly good at DMX. You're better off using another program for DMX and sync it with LSX over MIDI timecode.
    "We thought our liFe by aN allegory with a jOurney, with a pilgRimage, which haD a serious purpose at the end, the thing was to get to that end. Success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after your death. But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played."

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    LSX isn't particularly good at DMX. You're better off using another program for DMX and sync it with LSX over MIDI timecode.
    Hallo en bedankt voor je goed YouTube tutorials ...

That`s just what im trying to avoid: add new soft- and hardware. I only got an RGB stage light ad want to add some ambient light or strobe effects to my home disco. No complex light editing in mind.
    Last edited by LightFox; 01-06-2017 at 06:33.

I think your info is dated, my friend. I have been using DMX controlled with LSX a lot lately and find it to be spot-on. I have an Entec Pro device and a DMX King device and they both work equally well. (Note that the cheap Entec Lite device is NOT supported and won't work.)

I am currently controlling over a hundred channels very reliably. The signal response is fast and stable. Sure, it is not as elegant or easy for DMX control when you have lots of DMX devices, but its more than adequate for controlling lumia devices, ILDA switchers, DMX foggers and so forth.

Lightfox: As I recall, LSX should detect your device as soon as it is connected and associate it with the first timeline. Be sure not to check the 'use DAC controller' because that tries to use the DAC's DMX control, if any, instead of the Entec/DMX King device that you have attached.

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 01-06-2017 at 08:02.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I never got my DMX King to work but it's been a while (and several LSX versions) since I tried.

LSX' DMX implementation is a bit cumbersome as you need to place an event for every channel and every change in configuration (but you can use expressions which is cool). Still better than Chamsys' MagicQ of course. Especially for small setups.
    "We thought our liFe by aN allegory with a jOurney, with a pilgRimage, which haD a serious purpose at the end, the thing was to get to that end. Success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after your death. But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played."

LSX' DMX implementation is a bit cumbersome as you need to place an event for every channel and every change in configuration (but you can use expressions which is cool).
    Yup, but I've been putting the DMX events into SFX Loops which allow me to group up to 32 DMX changes into one loop. I build them once, put a comment string above them to indicate what they do and keep them in a separate show file that I can copy from and paste into my current show.

-David

Sorry, but I feel still a little bit misunderstood: I already have Hyperport Pro and LSX and just want to know, how to get them working together.
    ILDA output works fine, but any way to activate DMX output ?
    If I have to add an DMX-device, this one wouldn`t do the job ? http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Products&pn=70302
    Thanks so far...

Also would be nice, if the "mysterious drlava" sometimes could show up, to answer such fundamental questions about his software.

Quote Originally Posted by LightFox View Post
    Sorry, but I feel still a little bit misunderstood: I already have Hyperport Pro and LSX and just want to know, how to get them working together.
    ILDA output works fine, but any way to activate DMX output ?
    If I have to add an DMX-device, this one wouldn`t do the job ? http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Products&pn=70302
    Ah, OK. Well, I suspect you are the first person to test a Hyperport Pro with LSX. I have 5 older Hyperports that list DMX out as a feature. I think through a serial port and a dongle of some sort, but I haven't ever tried it with Mamba or LSX.

In any case, I believe LSX only supports DMX King and Enttec Pro devices currently. The Enttec device you linked will not work. You need this one or this one. The later is the same price as the one you linked and works well in my experience.

-David

Expensive hobby..... Does someone need Medialas M3 or ILDSOS software ? Are quite obsolete now due to my latest purchases.