Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest QUALITY moving head dmx light?

Default Cheapest QUALITY moving head dmx light?

Im interested in getting a moving head light. Not looking for the absolute cheapest piece of plastic in the world, but IM thinking around 800 including a way to control the light. Any suggestions?
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

What are you looking to do with the lights?
    Chauvet, Elation, and Robe are brands that offer really good bang for the buck. The simplest fixtures will be LED Wash types, spots have more moving parts but offer more effects, all depends on what you want to do.
    For control, I would go the PC DMX dongle route, as you can find better control options for your money rather than buying a standalone controller unless you don't mind paying >$3000 for a good small lighting desk.

I do like the idea of a usb dongl, I was thinking of a pinspot light to bring with me to DJ parties. Im even considering single color. Something to throw beams around and scan the audience as Im maintaining the safety of my lasers
    -

Basically this xD Unless someone with personal experience has another light in mind: http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/C...FUiEfgod5TYARA
    -

For a self contained package, that's a pretty good deal. I can't vouch for how bright they actually will be, probably OK for a 300-500 capacity room.

How many are you thinking of buying? If it's just one then spend the money on something else.
    4 is really a minimum number of moving lights to do any sort of 'show'.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

If you don't need gobos, pick up some adj inno beams and just use the built in programs. Obviously it would be better to use a dmx controller, but anything worth a shit is going to cost more than an fb3 and require you spend time writing programs.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Two-p...940008850.html

I've been looking at getting a pair of those (2 pairs) as people have been talking good about these, that and they don't look that cheap on the pictures. But they are washes as you see, so no gobos.

-Hybird
    1x - 2W RGB DT40Pro (Currently building)
    1x - 1W RGB PT25K
    ------------------------------------
    EtherDream, LaserShowExpress, Ipad (TouchOSC)
    -Hybridz0rz

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I will attest to what Norty mentioned above. Again, a lesson learned from experience and I fully appreciate what he says. If you can only afford one... don't even bother. You need multiples. You are far better off with a number of the same fixture than you are with a hodgepodge of fixtures and, particularly with the movers... four is almost a minimum. I bought two Chauvet Intimidator Beam 350's last summer for $1500 and really... to be worth a damn, I've learned I need about 8.

I just came from PLASA in Baltimore a couple hours ago and spent several hours looking at higher end professional moving head lights.... the ones that are $2000-$6000 (or more) each. The "real" stuff. Clay Packy, Robe, Elation Professional, High End Systems, etc. Wow... I mentally spent $4,800 on four Chauvet Professional Rouge Beam R-1's and they were some of the least expensive things there. They may very well make it into the arsenal someday but, it's a major investment.

You asked for cheap and decent. The spot duo from Chauvet is actually a pretty cool product at $569 for one but, they're not particuarly bright. Not for a 300-500 person room in my opinion. A DJ friend of mine bought one and had it here in my ballroom and I was underwhelmed. I would be inclined to check out packages from places like Pro Sound and IDJNOW as you may be able to find a kit with 4 lights, dmx cable and controller. Now... if you're not doing big spaces, maybe something like the Chauvet Intimidator Spot 100 at $299 would be good and they'll probably do a deal on 4 for a grand or so.

Thanks for the insight! I was thinking of either two spot duos but ill look into the spot 100s now!
    -