Thread: Vintage Holography AND Lasers

Default Vintage Holography AND Lasers

Last month I visited Ed Wesly in Chicago, to pick up his collection of vintage lasers and add it to mine. It's a group of 12, including those he got from Dr. Tung Jeong of Lake Forest College and many from the Zenith Corporation. We'd been putting the trip off for a few years because he wanted to get a hologram of the stack using the pulsed ruby laser from the old Anait Stevens Lab at Lake Forest, which had been in disrepair and needed to get up and running first.

We spent friday and saturday troubleshooting a trigger problem, sunday aligning the laser and setting up the shot, and on monday morning got some good results. The one below shows his stack of lasers in the studio. The laser was a Lumonics (JK) model from the late '80s, he used Agfa 8E75HD film from the late '90s, and both worked fine! We did a few with each of us in the scene too, but mine's too dim to get a good picture easily. His is very good. After the shots were done, the stack was humped quickly into the truck to join a whale of a Plasma Kinetics copper vapor laser for the trip to Arizona. The second pic shows the shelf of old lasers where the hologram now resides and where I took the pic of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ed Wesly Lasers.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	704.0 KB 
ID:	43411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ed Wesly Lasers Setup.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	558.2 KB 
ID:	43412
    Last edited by Eidetic; 04-06-2016 at 17:31.

Ohhh! I see the Jodon HN-50 sitting on the bottom. =)
    Will there be three phase!!!!

I'm planning on putting shelves on a wall in the dining room to hold it (with cover off), and a few others I want to see better all the time. Those old Jodon lasers were built like russian tanks!

No, Russian tanks still work...or some of them do; Jodon tubes not so much..
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

I will be really interested to hear how many of thre old lasers still work. Try them! Good luck. Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)