Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneak Peek - Introducing Maxwell - A software laser synth (analogish)

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    Anyone test with Windows 10? haven't had any issues with QS, Beyond or LSX...Even LaserGen good...and am Happy to support anyone who makes software to forward the industry...and especially can keep it affordable!
    I use Windows 10 for development - and have never seen any issues with Windows 10. As a matter of fact (and something that hurts me to say) - I see much better performance when running on Windows than OS X (performance measured by speed of switching presets - switching presets is something I have very little control over).

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    And perhaps RiyaLaser dac support? Could this get AKAI APCMini support? My mind getting excited at new stuff to play with!
    I will have to look at the Akai APICMini docs - You can use any MIDI Controller you like - using the MIDI learn feature - and the presets - you basically tell it which note value is the first note value for the clip buttons - the APC mode button automatically maps the clip play buttons on the APC-40 to the preset buttons on Maxwell.

MIDI learn tutorial:

• Click the MIDI Learn button to enter MIDI Learn Mode (Power has to be on)
    • Using the mouse - click on a control you want to assign to a MIDI Controller - it should turn pinkish
    • Twiddle the knob on the MIDI controller you want to assign to that control.
    • Rinse and Repeat
    • You can assign multiple MIDI controllers to a single item in Maxwell (though the item will turn green-ish to let you know that another controller has been assigned to that control).
    • You can also assign a single MIDI controller to adjust multiple values in Maxwell - though this is probably less useful.
    • You can "Shift-Click" on a control while in MIDI Learn mode to "unlearn" that control.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    i don't know if any one else had trouble figuring out how to save presets on a PC with out an apc (i don't know if its different with one or not) but hover the mouse over the grid on the box you want to save to hold shift then mouse click
    That is great advice. Having been a user of Max/MSP for so long, I often forget the things that are obvious to me - but which may not be obvious to those who are not familiar with Max/Max for Live UI elements. Also, it is currently not possible to "save" a preset using a MIDI device. That is something to think about for a future update.

Another thing to note which Sal brought up.... to adjust the Scale value in the hardware section (Ether Dream) - you can adjust in smaller steps by clicking and dragging to the right of the decimal place you want to change. So if you want to change the 100ths position, drag to the right of the tens position. Hope that makes sense. This is one area I hope to clean up with next version.
    Last edited by BlueFang; 05-28-2016 at 22:34.

First....Let me THANK You for all your hard work !!!!! For those wanting to get into Abstracts....for a VERY low cost...Maxwell looks just GREAT !!! I have had certain kinds of dreams about the Z5....but the cost....!!! Not that it is NOT worth the $$$....I see all the work/components in the Z5....and am in awe....but the Maxwell software....It is the doorway into Abstract generation.... ( No offence to LSX !!! I remain LSX challenged when it comes to abstract....but find the work of Swamidog....well....absolutely wonderful !!!! )
    Now...YES...YES...YES to making Maxwell friendly to a RiyaLaser DAC !!!! You have done SOOoo much...yet...we still ask for more !!! .......for I do not own a Ether Dream DAC !!! but...200 $ is not a bad price for the Ether Dream.....but....I am just being cheap !!
    That said...Thank you again !!!!!!!!! Like I said...for anyone wanting to get in to Abstract....this looks wonderful !!
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 05-29-2016 at 06:46. Reason: cleaned up
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

I'll have to say that this thread has definitely renewed my interest in abstract generation!

Since a Z5 isn't really in the budget right now, where is the most reliable place to purchase a basic Etherdream DAC these days?
    I would be using this on Windows 10 PC's.

Thanks!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I have played with Maxwell for a few hours now...So many buttons and dials! Hope the slow and detailed video for making those cool abstracts comes soon! But..at least you can record to .ild (rename saved file to xxx.ild) and insert in program of choice. I Have an etherdream that I never got working so I am hoping for Riya or maybe even FB3 support.

This looks very nice BlueFang! I'd love to check it out but only have a QM2K. Any plans to add support for this?

What DZ said!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I had asked him about that a few posts up. He said he would probably look into it eventually.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

OK....SOoooo....If I want to use Maxwell....real time....an Ether Dream DAC is required......which is what I want to do !!

The only place I have been able to locate this product is at " Illumination Supply "....see here

www.illumn.com

$ 200.00 USD

CDBEAM=======>
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

As far as supporting other DACs - I am willing and interested in supporting as many DACs as possible.

Here is the problem I run in to. The DAC needs to have a published API that third party apps (like Maxwell) can access - and the big one... Maxwell is currently a 64bit application - most laser DAC DLLs are 10 years old or older - and are only 32bit (speaking in windows terms). It is technically possible for me to create a 32bit version of Maxwell for Windows - so that is not necessarily the roadblock - but it is quite a bit more effort once you start branching out to many different versions.

Also, I really want to try keep Maxwell cross-platform - what works on one platform should work on the other platform - we'll call this parity - I want it to be even. When you start branching out to different versions for different platforms - things can get out of control pretty quick. However, I also understand that DAC support on OS X is not a top priority for most DAC developers.

I understand there is a huge demand for other DACs. It will take a bit of R&D on my part - as well as the manufacturer /developer of the DACs - to figure out the best way to make this happen.

Oh... and one other BIG issue with supporting other DACs - is that I would have to own or test with the particular DAC in question... so this is where I would REALLY need the support of the DAC manufacturers... With the price-point of Maxwell, I can't go purchasing all possible DACs out there...
    Last edited by BlueFang; 05-29-2016 at 20:07.

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    OK....SOoooo....If I want to use Maxwell....real time....an Ether Dream DAC is required......which is what I want to do !!

The only place I have been able to locate this product is at " Illumination Supply "....see here

www.illumn.com

$ 200.00 USD

CDBEAM=======>

I believe that is the best place - and is as close to the source as possible for Ether Dream DACs.