Thread: Mobolazer mirror mod

Default Mobolazer mirror mod

I'd like to replace all the flag mirrors on my Mobolazer with ones that are more friendly to RED

Can anyone suggest where I might find suitable mirrors for RGB 50/50 and full reflect with better values than what I have? Also, anyone know a place I can get them cut to size? I seem to recall Laserlackey offering up these services at SELEM two years ago, but alas it seems he's gone inactive a year ago.

Are the factory ones not full spectrum? The 3 mobolazer lil-g-beam units I have look like standard first surface to me?

My issue is the plastic barrels for the turrets always come apart. I tried the standard epoxy but it didn't seem to do any better. Plastic and metal bonding with adhesives seems problematic but it's not my forte.

My red losses are staggering, > 50% while my blue is < 20%

I figure it's probably related to the glass as the original laser mounted to the system was blue/green only (Ar).

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    ...it's probably related to the glass as the original laser ..was blue/green..
    Ya, if your losses are that-bad w/ Red, they're prolly G/B Dichros, Bud.. I've seen them both ways, Some with 'true 50/50's, some with Dichros, so you could, say, have one turret all-green / another, all-blue, etc, and Some of those 'used' MLs, out in the wild, show up w/ their 'color-box' selectors (first-rail..) all raped so.. Maybe it was just 'cheaper / easier' for someone to replace the 50/50s w/ G/B dichro, than rebuild the color-box properly..

..Anyhoo, I can hook you up with some nice true 50/50's, if you wish.. They're already 'to-size', width-wise, just need to snap 'em down, length-wise, a bit.. For *excellent* 100% mir, that will have no problem with any-power you toss at it, (I've used with 15+W of Red, 40+W of Green, and 30+W of Blue.. no probs..) ask Amanda & Co. http://onestoplasershop.com/optical.htm for the '100W aerospace-grade BB di-electric mir', and they cut those, in-house, to 'Mobo-spec' size, they've done a bajilion of 'em..

Fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

What was the typical power handling of stock ML-10 mirrors? Can they generally handle about 5-10 watts of blue or green or, a combo of both?
    PM Sent...

I would look at the knife edge mirrors from a cazio projector. They should be close to the correct width. DTR has em. You should only have to make one cut. The cut would be at the bottom so if your cut isnt perfect it wont matter.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    What was the typical power handling of stock ML-10 mirrors?
    It will really depend on the ML-10.. ie: If it was an ML-10-250 / 300 (under Class IV rated..) AND the MM-positioners are the 'lo-grade' (course-thread tweekers in PEM-nuts / PVC 'throat' / collar for beam-path, etc..) then, they're likely also 'lo-power' mirrors.. I dunno what Neville would have spec'd as 'max power' for those IIIb-bases, but likely, 5W-handling mirror, or less..

..But, if the ML-base was one of the -G-3 or G-5 (designed for the MGs..) those, inherently, are gonna be Class IV projectors, and thus, should-have the capability to handle the 'theoretical max' power, of any laser spec'd in the Product report (ie: ~7W of 532 for an MG..) So, those PJs should-have 'high-power' mirrors, and I recall Neville saying something, years-ago, like 'If you buy the 'Pro modules' (ones with the fine-thread adjusters / 'true' MM1s / Alum-throat collars, etc..) those come with 20W mirrors, standard..' ...That's what I recall, anyway, so..

..IF you've got an ML-designed for a Class IV / the 'Pro' modules, up-top, it's also likely you've got 'stock' mirrs good for (at least..) up to 20W.. And, for the '50/50's, those can handle many, many W's, inherently, since they're passing 1/2 of whatever yer tossing at them, anyway..

fwiw..
    j

PS, +1 on the 'casio-mirr' suggestion but.. That's only good IF you wanna DIY snap-em (which, with a glass scribe / good pair of pointed 'wire snips' / some practice, is really a cinch..), whereas OSLS sell those, already cut expressly for the ML-pjs, so.. If you just wanna 'glue-n-go', they've got yer fix..
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 06-06-2015 at 08:51. Reason: sp
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thanks, buddy.

I don't know exactly what i've got, but I'll run some more tests and make sure the hassle is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    I would look at the knife edge mirrors from a cazio projector. They should be close to the correct width. DTR has em. You should only have to make one cut. The cut would be at the bottom so if your cut isnt perfect it wont matter.
    +2 on the casio mirrors. I thought they were aluminum coatings but they are hard coat dielectric BBHR. +2 one stop laser shop for BBHR and 50/50's.