Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first dual

Default My first dual

In an attempt to save space while building my 4-head projector, I decided to go with a two tier build. This is the first of two platters that will go in an overall projector housing with a bottom level for amps and PSUs. One of these scan heads will be a straight shot. The other will have a few rotary solenoids with scan glass effects. The next platter will also be the same. The goal is a "planetarium" style projector with 4 heads, 2 of which will also have selectable scan thru filters. This will eventually be married to my lumia projector. I have all the glass, lasers and motors for my lumia.... I just need time!!!!

First pics. More to come.

8" X 12" platter:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual_platter.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	904.6 KB 
ID:	48183

Dialing in the alignment on the first side:

Name:	dialing_in01.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	840.6 KB 
ID:	48184
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    In an attempt to save space while building my 4-head projector, I decided to go with a two tier build. This is the first of two platters that will go in an overall projector housing with a bottom level for amps and PSUs. One of these scan heads will be a straight shot. The other will have a few rotary solenoids with scan glass effects. The next platter will also be the same. The goal is a "planetarium" style projector with 4 heads, 2 of which will also have selectable scan thru filters. This will eventually be married to my lumia projector. I have all the glass, lasers and motors for my lumia.... I just need time!!!!

First pics. More to come.

8" X 12" platter:

Name:	dual_platter.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	904.6 KB 
ID:	48183

Dialing in the alignment on the first side:

Name:	dialing_in01.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	840.6 KB 
ID:	48184
    nice!

building a dual head system is pretty high on my list. have you considered flipping the orientation on one side so you can move the scanner blocks closer together?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I would love to see you crank out some dual-head Swami shows! Your projector is already traveling at the speed of light. With two scan pairs and your LSX skills, I think it would actually be able to travel through time!!!

I had thought about changing the orientation but just decided to leave it. The picture is hard to gauge the size of the platter but the scanners are only 7" apart. I am getting the second scan pair dialed in tonight and I should be able to see if I even need to use an geometric correction. If it becomes too extreme, I may change it. It also depends on throw distance too. The greater the projected distance, the less I'll have to worry about it.

Beautiful work, did you run into any problems centering near field on the dichros. Whenever I skip using a bounce mirror it always seems like one is slightly off from pressing in host, or mount.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Beautiful work, did you run into any problems centering near field on the dichros. Whenever I skip using a bounce mirror it always seems like one is slightly off from pressing in host, or mount.
    Thanks. Yes, it's a bit of a pain. I also found that the collimators move slightly in the diode modules. That also changes the beam angle. I wanted to use bounce mirrors but since these are single-mode diodes, every mW counts! They line up pretty well though. Having that final steering mirror helps immensely but the NF is not quite perfect yet. I need to futz with it some more.

Are you using some kind of connector to connect to the laser diodes or is this just heat shrink tubing I'm seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Are you using some kind of connector to connect to the laser diodes or is this just heat shrink tubing I'm seeing?
    I have a those are just the KK connectors. I have breakout boards that everything connects to.

I just uploaded a video of my dually projecting an abstract.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

beautiful and awesome old school knob box style.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Looking mighty fine!
    This space for rent.