Thread: 2.5W 638nm module from Live Lasersystems

Default 2.5W 638nm module from Live Lasersystems

Why these modules:
    I purchased these modules looking for some decent high powered red to add to my projectors, without the cost of 637nm.

Price:
    Good value, I think prices still need to be finalised so I won't post anything here. It was about half of what I expected to pay.

At a glance:
    Modules were well packaged, and arrived with all documentation required for plug and play. They are extremely compact, surprisingly so.
    Philip included wire terminals which are convenient to hook up - I really need some of these for my own purposes. I was all happy with the prep from his side.
    Two warnings:
    1.) The aperture window juts out a few mm and is quite easy to touch accidentally.
    2.) You need a 12v 5A power supply which is not included with the modules. I always use the Mean-Well brand.

Build quality:
    Feels solid. Nice anodising. Diodes are adjustable externally with a small hex wrench / allan key. I doubt it will ever misalign, but good to know.

Power output:
    Wow I am really, really impressed. Measured with a calibrated Ophir meter. 3.3W coming out of the module. The module and driver generates very little heat.

The module uses 4x 638nm Oclaro diodes, presumably slightly overdriven. Due to the active TEC system, I think all laserists will agree this is rock solid taking into account the nature of modulation. I am sure lower power could be requested, but as the TEC seems to be doing its job, I doubt Live Lasersystems will get many of these requests. I expect these modules to live on long past all my DPSS lasers.

Beam:
    5mm x 5mm at aperture
    15mm x 28mm at 18.3m
    Divergence: 0.7 mRad x 1.2mRad
    From what I understand, this is as good as it gets with multimode.

I have mixed this with 5W 532nm and 6W 445nm. While obviously heavier on the B/G side, I am happy with the white beams I get out of this without any colour correction. No red halos either, which I was worried about.

Philip mentioned he plans to sell an addon spatial filter for these, haven't decided if I need it yet.

Conclusion:
    Really happy. I think if you're not prepared to fork out $5k+ for a 637nm system, this is a great solution to getting some decent red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	48881

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	48882

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	335.5 KB 
ID:	48883

Name:	DSC_0021.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	48884

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	398.2 KB 
ID:	48885

Name:	DSC_0038.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	354.3 KB 
ID:	48880
    Last edited by Humphry; 11-15-2015 at 12:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphry View Post
    Beam:
    5mm x 5mm at aperture
    15mm x 28mm at 18.3m
    Divergence: 0.7 mRad x 1.2mRad
    From what I understand, this is as good as it gets with multimode.
    Maybe without optical correction.