Thread: building my case, aperture window size

Default building my case, aperture window size

What is a window size which is big enough to not worry about it being smaller than the available scan angle in the market for the near future. I'm thinking 8cm x 8cm. Is that big enough? Too big? Not big enough?

Depends on how close your galvo mirrors are to the window. But 8X8cm should be sufficient for most.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

I made my galvo window sort of like a square funnel so that I can place a standard camera filter very close to the galvos. I epoxied a threaded adapter ring onto my case and screw on and off camera filters whenever I want to. If the filter gets dirty or scratched I just screw it off, and screw on another one.

I actually have the aperture window piece as a separate piece screwed to the case, in case I'll want to add scanlenses.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	50218

Distance between scanner and window is about 1 in.

PS. Camera filters? What use?

Quote Originally Posted by Nii View Post
    I actually have the aperture window piece as a separate piece screwed to the case, in case I'll want to add scanlenses.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	50218

Distance between scanner and window is about 1 in.

PS. Camera filters? What use?
    That picture looks pretty similar to how my aperture is constructed. I use an anti-reflective UV filter on my projector. It blocks UV but that doesn't really matter. Maybe there are better choices but I have been happy with the UV filter.

Understood. Do you use DPSS lasers? Or do diodes emit UV light as well? I wasnt aware of that if its true.

Also will a 8x8 cm plate with custom cutout fit the Pangolin Discoscan lens? http://pangolin.com/shop/discoscan-lens/
    I can't find the dimensions of the lens mount itself. Maybe someone here knows before I go bug Bill.
    PS. Yes I know I might need to make a funnel myself for the different plate to get the lens closer to the scanner.

Understood. Do you use DPSS lasers? Or do diodes emit UV light as well? I wasnt aware of that if its true.
    I am not concerned with filtering out UV. I only use the UV filter because it is anti-reflective and does not affect the lasers (since they are not in the UV range). A plain anti-reflective filter might be just as good or better. I think someone suggested the UV filter so I went with that.

You mean you use it as replacement for AR coated window glass?

You mean you use it as replacement for AR coated window glass?
    Yes, that's right.