Thread: New to the forum... Coherent Compass 315M

Laser Warning New to the forum... Coherent Compass 315M

Hey Folks:
    I have a few Compass 315M's salvaged from scrap equipment (GE Typhoon FLA 9000) that I am VERY CERTAIN function perfectly.
    (the machines still had the original shipping retainers on the scan head...)

In any case, how can I verify they work ?

I have the Compass 315m head and controller - just don't know the pinout on the controller and what's required to light it all up.

Anyone out there have any experience with these ?

Thanks in advance !

George

Please note: These have extremely long coherence length and so are very sought after by holographers.
    My friend Tommy Johnson may be interested in buying one.

If you have the cable between the analog controller and laser head, you just need a power supply and the control plug.
    Quoting Sam Goldwasser (second link):
    "The absolutely most minimal hardware needed to turn on the C315M and C415M lasers at full power can be constructed by hardwiring pins 1, 3, and 13 to pin 11 (+5 VDC). Install a 1K ohm resistor between pin 11 and pin 2. Jumper pins 9 and 10 together (digital and analog GND) and add a 47 uF capacitor from pin 2 (+) and pin 9 (-). The RC network is needed to provide a delay between Power On and Laser On. Add a momentary switch between pins 8 and 9 to set the power to max. (The switch is only needed to load the power setting the first time a new laser head/controller combination is powered up. After that, the power setting is retained in the Controller's EEPROM.)"

http://www.coherent.com/downloads/Co...Guidelines.pdf
    -general overview

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserscl.htm#sclcpsm
    -Sam Goldwasser did an excellent teardown and how-to on these. I followed it to set up two of them.

Dan:
    Thanks so much for the info !
    I DO have everything - except the control plug - which I'll make up myself.

I expect to be able to try and light this up next week and will let you know how I make out.

George

I have a pdf copy of the manual. If you would like a copy please PM me your email address.

Also, if you're thinking about selling one of these I may be interested.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001