Thread: camera UV filter glass as aperture glass?

Default camera UV filter glass as aperture glass?

Read this mentioned somewhere in the forum but couldn't find more than just a mention that someone used it.
    I'm not a camera guy so I wouldn't know. Anyone actually tested how transmissive they are?
    And are there good/bad brands or all pretty much same? If yes, which ones would you recommend?

I guess goldenstarlaser is on a vacation, wanted a replacement glass from them but they haven't responded in two weeks.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by syrah View Post
    Read this mentioned somewhere in the forum but couldn't find more than just a mention that someone used it.
    I'm not a camera guy so I wouldn't know. Anyone actually tested how transmissive they are?
    And are there good/bad brands or all pretty much same? If yes, which ones would you recommend?

I guess goldenstarlaser is on a vacation, wanted a replacement glass from them but they haven't responded in two weeks.
    something like this will work fine for you:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/w...0.0%20x%2050.0
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

An OPSL projector from Kvant would work fine for me too, but, you know, there's a reason I'm asking this specific thing.

Yes a uv camera filter should work just fine
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

if it is after the scanners, the chance of a back reflection making it to a diode is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    if it is after the scanners, the chance of a back reflection making it to a diode is zero.
    That's not what was concerning me, I as just wondering what losses to expect.

A good camera filter would be AR coated as well as flat and parallel. A laser projector is a really good test of all of the things you seem to be excessively worried about. Empirical answers are way better than Internet answers!
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I would test it and share the info here instead of asking others if I had an LPM.