Thread: video projector motor zoom and focusing addon?

Default video projector motor zoom and focusing addon?

I know some people use shutter addons to block any stray lights from a video projector when it isn't used.
    But sometimes I wish I could also attach some device that would rotate and zoom the lens without me having to get a ladder and do it myself.

And yes I know there are video projectors with motorized zoom and focus, but their price at the same brightness jumps so high I just can't afford those models.

I imagine something like a servo motor, arduino type electronics and a spring/plastic arm assembly could do what I have in mind.

Has anyone tried building something like this and attaching to their video projectors? Or better yet, does someone sell such an addon? I understand that the zoom and focus rotation rings don't have a stadard size but if an addon had a resizable and swappable plastic parts secured with set screws or knobscrews I think it could work.

All of the ones I have use gear teeth on the moving parts. To retrofit an existing projector you need something grippy, like the paper feed wheel from an old printer.
    I think you're on the right track.

Have you considered a used projector? They are dirt cheap on eBay. For example I just sold 3 of my older 5500 lumen projectors with zoom and focus on ebay for between $250 and $325. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131897821332...84.m1561.l2649

Alright I'll see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    Have you considered a used projector? They are dirt cheap on eBay. For example I just sold 3 of my older 5500 lumen projectors with zoom and focus on ebay for between $250 and $325. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131897821332...84.m1561.l2649
    Looks like an exceptional offer to me, I can never find anything used close to that price range.