Thread: CNI 1000mw 635nm laser losing power at 70+%

Default CNI 1000mw 635nm laser losing power at 70+%

so i have a 1000mw cni 635, it works fine up to about 70% power, then when i increase brightness to 100% in beyound or QS it becomes dimmer to about 50%, if i back off it gets brighter again... maybe its a tec adjustment it has a
    PSU-SD-OEM

the link for the cni spec sheet is here : http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/OEM-SD-6...MW-1000MW).pdf

I can open the case and take a pic of the psu and pots if someone thinks they have some advice on adjusting it.

Thanks for any help you have guys!

Try it with a 5v source and see if the same thing happens. If that was dpss I'd agree with tec but that sounds odd like not enough voltage or something. Also put a volt meter on the output of your card/ dac. And see if the signal is linear 0-5v. Once that all known we can comment intelligently. Otherwise it's all pure guess.

its on both my pangolin boxes, i know one is sticking out at least 4.9v and every other laser i have is fine,... its actually brighter at 70% than 100% like its over heating... im guess a driver problem... ill put a 5v across it later this week and report back. thanks for the reply!

It may be possible that the diode(s) is/are being overdriven and what you are seeing is the increase in current pushing the diode beyond its peak output on the curve. I'm not sure why it wouldn't have shown up initially, but perhaps just over-driving the diode over time has resulted in damage. I would also be inclined to open the module and see there are multiple diodes in the module and if so is one is burnt out? Perhaps a driver connected to multiple diodes is resulting on the remainder being over-driven. In either case, I'd be careful pushing it over the 100% output point for long because it may result in further damage to your module.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"