Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WICKED LASERS LASERDOCK DONGLE, A REAL GAME CHANGER. News & Reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    I have one of these DAC's too, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    Has anyone tried just the DAC, hooked up to a PROPER RGB projector?? just wondering if the output is any better/ cleaner with a solid projector compared to the LaserDock cheapo unit??
    That's what my write up above is about.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Some negatives:
    1. Scanning quality looks poor (assuming it's not the camera), - the circles are open at one end (although in fairness what do you expect for the price!)
    I think you are confusing "artistic design choices" with technical limitations. Some of the visualizations do indeed have open ended geometric shapes - but I believe that is because the graphics (either on purpose or mistakenly) lack optimization / dwell points - not because the scanner can't draw a perfect circle. My opinion is that the scanners perform quite a bit better than you would expect scanners to perform in a $400 LP.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    It's only designed for graphics as far as I can tell. No beam show content at all. (I own a dongle)
    Al, there is a page all about safety you have to click through before you can access the software download.
    From what I can tell, Wicked Lasers is very much open to suggestions. And beam show visuals has definitely been suggested - but if you want to add your voice, they seem to pay most attention to the reddit LaserDock page here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LaserDock/

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    if you want to add your voice, they seem to pay most attention to the reddit LaserDock page here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LaserDock/
    I can tell you from my own personal experience, they are VERY responsive to the redit page and seem to be actively engaged in discussions. I got responses to questions very quickly. This is a solid sign of a great company in my opinion. I'm betting a lot of the shortcomings with the software etc will be improved over the coming development stages. It is still in beta, after all.

It is comical that one person says it was designed for beam shows and another says it was only designed for graphics. Neither is true. The LaserDock was simply designed to be an affordable laser projector that is easy to use. It has 20K scanners because they help make it affordable.

There are some known issues with the DAC firmware/SDK that should be improved as time goes on so I am hopeful that the issues mentioned will eventually be resolved.

I'll be honest and say that I when I was approached by Wicked Lasers to work with them on this project I was skeptical but they have turned out to be wonderful to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    It's only designed for graphics as far as I can tell. No beam show content at all. (I own a dongle)
    Al, there is a page all about safety you have to click through before you can access the software download.
    Hi Norty, I'd already seen the Wicked Lasers safety page and all credit to them for putting it up. My point really concerned the video review as the reviewer didn't mention safety so far as I noticed and whilst new now, these projectors will be being sold 2nd hand shortly and some buyers will no doubt buy them based on YouTube reviews and not have to go to the Wicked Lasers page to get the software (or the warnings ). I feel it would have been better if the reviewer had given a warning within the review.

JohnYayas, I think you know what I meant when I stated there was only graphics show content currently. Of course it can do beam shows, they just don't supply anything for that yet (disregarding the other compatible software).
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I really fear the regulatory nightmare this is going to cause when johnny laser blows his cats eyes out and flashblinds his kindergarden class. Look guys I'm all about increasing the art and making it available to everyone but the could have limited the power to safe levels as a great intro device. Then again this is the same group that made a multiwatt double ended laser device. Their idea of safe was just to include some laser goggles. Not cool.

Put some true 30kps scanners in it. Charge 1k to keep the kids away.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I really fear the regulatory nightmare this is going to cause when johnny laser blows his cats eyes out and flashblinds his kindergarden class. Look guys I'm all about increasing the art and making it available to everyone but the could have limited the power to safe levels as a great intro device. Then again this is the same group that made a multiwatt double ended laser device. Their idea of safe was just to include some laser goggles. Not cool.

Put some true 30kps scanners in it. Charge 1k to keep the kids away.
    I wonder how your 1K price is going to work with the other DAC producers. I can almost hear them laughing when you suggest them to put the price higher.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    I wonder how your 1K price is going to work with the other DAC producers. I can almost hear them laughing when you suggest them to put the price higher.
    It's not the dac I'm talking about. It's the laser itself. The dac is harmless unless hooked to the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    It's not the dac I'm talking about. It's the laser itself. The dac is harmless unless hooked to the laser.

On Ebay you can buy a 3.5W laser diode from the USA for around 130 dollars and make a very dangerous laser pen. Do you expect that seller to increase his prices to suite you?