Thread: Advise on LUMONICS Lightwriter, LW-SPe, 400W YAG marking system.

Default Advise on LUMONICS Lightwriter, LW-SPe, 400W YAG marking system.

I am considering the purchase of this laser. To be used as intended for marking. The unit looks very clean and seems complete. It was built in 1995 and was supposedly working prior to removal.

Does anyone have any experience with this system. Any advice or insights as to operation or spare parts availability would be helpful. There is no documentation supplied and likely no software.

Looks similar to the attached pic I found online.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	serveimage.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	51020

Thanks for your help.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I've been in the room with one running in the early 90s.
    {}

The custom PC cards, custom scanner amps, dongle, and software which drive the system are essential, unless you wish to buy a pile of parts.
    1995 marking systems are generally Dogs. At best, you get a scan head, long working distance optics, and a hard to support YAG or Co2 laser.
    Odds of getting any help from Cambridge / Novantia / Lumonics / JK lasers is zero.
    {}
    As the laser was lamp pumped, you'll need things like new lamp clips, DI water filter(s), possibly new pump chambers, and certainly new lamps. Especially if the system was placed away wet without flushing the pump chambers. If you've never worked on a high powered YAG before, the hazards are immense and there is a level of training needed to handle the water cooled system that is just not described on-line. Value = 100$ maximum as something to tear apart and learn from, then have to dispose of.
    {}
    If you hook it up and press start, without training on how "wet" yags work, odds are you'll never see even a flash of lasing. Things like DI water conductivity issues,possible lamp explosions, chamber corrosion and leaks have to be addressed before pressing "Start".
    {}
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-18-2016 at 10:51.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks Steve. I was hoping that you would offer your opinion. Mostly what I expected.