Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New open laser frame format?

Hm, I will need to do some more homework on IDN, to be honest I was under the impression that it was just a network protocol for DACs, not a file format..

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    Hm, I will need to do some more homework on IDN, to be honest I was under the impression that it was just a network protocol for DACs, not a file format..
    Looks like the file format version of IDN is still in the oven.

http://www.ilda.com/technical.htm

Well - "in the oven" is kind of correct :-)

Although - since the coding of data is into distinct messages, the storage and transmission is up to the next layer.
    This implies, that any application can store IDN messages in any container - and transmit them across any infrastructure.
    In order to be compatible (among IDN solutions) there will standards/profiles for the most common use cases (Ethernet/IP, Files, ...).

Regarding files - This will essentially just be a header that defines virtual services, the IDN messages refer to - and an optional indexing section.
    Following this are just the plain IDN messages (It gets a little more complicated when multiple universes (64 channel boundary) come into play though).