Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Next FLEM: Jan 13th-14th, 2017. We are confirmed!

Smile

Oh man... I'm really getting too old for this stuff.

So I rolled in last night (really this morning) at 2:45 AM, and slept exactly 3.5 hrs before being awakened by a text on my phone. Erg... Managed to catch another hour and change after, but it still isn't enough. Why do we push ourselves like this? Oh - right, because it's tremendous fun!

Yesterday we got things set up fairly early, thanks to Brad being on-point when it came to organization. Sound was running by noon, and most of the projectors were dialed in by 2 PM. We took a break at 8 PM for dinner (Angelo's again! Great Italian food), and then headed back to the boat house for more fun. And like always, we just couldn't bring ourselves to shut down once we got going, which is why we ran so late!

One casualty so far: I had a mini plasma ball (about 3 inches in diameter) that ran off USB and also had a built-in speaker that you could connect to your laptop or phone. Very cool little gadget. (Thanks Brad!) Unfortunately, it took a short trip south from the tabletop to the concrete floor (yes, gravity still works, even in Florida), and as it turns out thin glass envelope + speed + concrete = broken glass everywhere. But it was cool while it lasted.

Big surprise for most folks yesterday: DZ was actually able to break away from work to drive down, and it was very cool to see him again. Unfortunately he had to return home late last night, because today and tomorrow he will be tied up at work. But at least he got 1 day of FLEM in! We also had two new faces present yesterday: SaltyRobot (Jason) and Laserman121 (Zach). This was their first FLEM. Both will be back today for more fun.

Today we plan to do some quad-copter flying, and Countfunkula (David) has a couple ion lasers we hope to fire up as well. We also have some new shows to check out, as both Jason and Bob (Lazerjock's Dad, aka RVT03) have new shows they've put together. And later this evening we're expecting some guests from Angelo's to drop by, along with a few friends of my Mom and maybe Zach's cousin and aunt... One thing is certain: we're going to need a bigger boathouse!

50 minutes until I need to go down there and unlock the door. I guess I better get in the shower...

Adam

PS: I need to find a product called "sleep in a can". Coffee just isn't enough anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    PS: I need to find a product called "sleep in a can". Coffee just isn't enough anymore!
    It exists!!! The problem is, it's not legal.

So I'm sooooo missing out being at FLEM, but that's OK, I got my share of lasers last night. :/

After seeing ROGUE ONE, we were out to dinner at a busy Mexican restaurant with a band and dance floor. Every once in awhile, a green laser would grace by our booth. I took a video:

Made me miss FLEM even more.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

3:19 am and another one for the books. We tallied 18 geeks and guests and had an incredible time. Who would have thunk a few years back we'd have 36 watts blazing in that little boat house. More later but a couple hours of sleep followed by 1,000 miles of driving have to come first.
    PM Sent...

great seeing everyone again, got home around 6AM woohoo

Left Adam's mom's at 6:49am and pulled up at my hall at 8:22pm. Two fuel stops and two other bathroom breaks. Nice easy trip actually.
    PM Sent...

Whew! What a weekend! Great fun as always. I got a very late start on Sunday (ended up chatting with my Mom all morning) and did not leave until after 1:30 PM. Nevertheless, I got home at 7:45 PM with no problems at all. Traffic was unusually light, which helped.

I did manage to get one video uploaded. I shot it on Saturday evening with my cell phone. This is 7 projectors making a combined total of 36 watts all running in sync in that tiny boathouse! (And we had more projectors that we didn't have hooked up at this point.) But the really cool part is the "impossible" laser effects that are caused by the rolling shutter of my cell phone's camera. Pay particular attention at around the 56 second point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMh9uYwFU0U

Also, for our friends who are getting ready for Dutch-LEM, have a close look at this picture of my control console...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buffo's console with stroopwafels.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	51518

That's right! Stroopwafels are now available here in the US! Yum! Although we also had some really good pizza on Saturday courtesy of Patrick Murphy and ILDA, who sponsored lunch for us that day. (Which was really cool, since we had lots of things going on and no one really wanted to leave to go to a sit-down restaurant for food because it would take away from the laser fun. So pizza was the ideal solution.)

Huge thanks to everyone who stayed late to help clean-up and pack everything on Saturday night and into Sunday morning. As always, the venue looked better when we left than it did when we arrived, and I know the folks at the boat club really appreciate that. (Probably why they still give me such a good rate!)

I'm sure others will chime in later with more details, pictures, and video, but I suspect it might take everyone a day or two to recuperate. I know I'm still *way* behind on sleep, and I'm sure most everyone else is too. But I would do it all over again next weekend if I could. Damn, but it was fun!

Adam

I had a great time hanging out with a tight, fun group of fun folks at FLEM as always. Many thanks to Adam, Brad and the others who spend the most time, effort and money to make this event happen. Your generosity is most awesome! Unfortunately I only made it for one day after visiting with family and doing a couple Disney parks with the wife and 'lil dk, but one day is certainly better than none.

Thanks everyone!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Glad everyone had a great time. Did you guys fly the Mavic? Just getting ready for some flight here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (5).JPG 
Size:	451.8 KB 
ID:	51519
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Glad everyone had a great time. Did you guys fly the Mavic? Just getting ready for some flight here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (5).JPG 
Size:	451.8 KB 
ID:	51519
    Oh that was cool! I don't know if I would waste my time with any other drone now. If I ever get anything else, I think it would be one of these.
    PM Sent...

Wow, That rolling shutter effect was friggin cool... Glad you all had fun and safe travels..