Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PT-A40 - what is the maximum sizes of square beam?

Finale,
    You can stack/knife in a multiple of combinations.
    However starting point should be which diodes, then the beam profile and power you want to achieve.
    So which diodes, max beam size your scanners can handle, desired divergence and power. Then we can speculate for combining options based on those limits. Diode specs and optics laws will be determinant for a given desired beam specs/power.

Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    How much on the other axis?
    Am I correct to assume you have 4 individual diode beams which are stacked like this?

||
    ||

(before correction optics, if any)

@Finale - Follow either of the links in my signature and there'll be an album of the builds on my page. 2x 20W RGB
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by nano View Post
    @Laserpower,
    I said, I would like to buy.
    But I found these details on their website: http://phenixtechnology.com/products...13/0821/5.html
    Model:PT-A40
    ● Y Mirrors size:7ⅹ12ⅹ1.0mm
    ● X Mirrors size:7.4ⅹ8ⅹ1.0mm

@rns0504,
    Ohh, you are the man who sent me the long correct answer some day ago! Thank you!
    First time I wanted to buy your scannermax 506, but I'm afraid of tuning. I would be much more happy with 506 but If I can't setup it properly with my chinese version red drivers I need to buy rather the PT-A40.
    Maybe do you have any pictures, video about this tuning / setup? Usage of these media would be easier because the English isn't my strength.

And I checked what is the notch filter. It isn't too complicated circuit, but I don't know why and where should we use it.

I found your mirror sizing topic and I read that. But it wasn't clear (just because of my English...).
    40 degrees mechanical why equal 20 degrees optical?

And the second thing what I don' understand:
    If my beam is square and 5mm x 5mm and the X mirror is 7,4mm something wrong. 5mm x 1.41 = 7.05mm. So it is enough if the mirror isn't move. If it move we need ~12mm (I counted it with -20 degrees and +20 degrees, but even If I count with +10 and -10 degrees 7,4mm it is not enough).
    Correct me Ryan please, I'm wrong somewhere.

Tomorrow I will read your post again. Good night!
    Hi,

Sorry I missed this post!

I dont have any tuning videos, im sorry. Just the link on our website for modifying the driver.

It is hard to set a notch filter without a dynamic signal analyzer, which most people do not have outside of laboratories and universities.

Optical angle is twice the mechanical angle always by Snell's law. When the beam enters the mirror surface at a particular angle, it will be reflected by the same angle when referenced to a datum line normal to the mirror surface. So imagine a beam coming horizontal and striking a mirror sitting at 45 degrees. The beam will be reflected and exit vertical. The "mechanical angle" of the mirror is 45 degrees, but the "optical angle" is 90 degrees.

As for the second question,

If the mirror is sitting at nominal position, the mirror is sitting at a 45 degree angle to the incoming beam. If you want to scan 60 degrees (optical, which is what everyone uses when talking scanners), that is 30 degrees forward and 30 degrees back. The forward direction is what is important for mirror width. So a 30 degree "forward" movement, represents a 15 degree mechanical movement, which we use for our math.

Mirror Size = Beam Diameter * secant (mechanical angle)
    Mirror Size = 5mm * Secant(60 degrees)
    Mirror Size = 5mm * 2
    10mm minimum mirror width

The moral is often the Chinese scanner and mirror specs are exaggerated and cant really do what they say they can. Of course, take this with a grain of salt... many people get upset when I say that and criticize another company's specs, especially the Chinese. But math and physics doesnt lie... it is not my opinion, but rather a fact!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    The moral is often the Chinese scanner and mirror specs are exaggerated and cant really do what they say they can. Of course, take this with a grain of salt... many people get upset when I say that and criticize another company's specs, especially the Chinese. But math and physics doesnt lie... it is not my opinion, but rather a fact!
    I think expectations come into this somewhat.
    When I fit a mirror that I know will 'just about' get the job done on a high power projector (i.e. the beam is close to the extents of the mirror at centre, so will overspill at the extents of scanning) I'm aware that I'll get some clipping and its a trade off in terms of mirror size, availability, scanning speed and cost.

The reality is that in the ever growing powers game, a 'bit' of clipping is not really significant in use. Lasers do not simply cease to become visible because a bit of stray beam, and most would be hard pressed to see the effects of some spillage caused by not all of the beam fitting on the mirror.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Sure, if you know that your mirrors wont fully capture the beam, no problem.

I just wish the manufacturers would be honest about what the system will really do Its hard to do business honestly when other companies outright lie about their specs and it is accepted, and almost expected! What is so hard about being honest about what your system will honestly do? Thats what I want to know!

Most times, the clipped or rereflected beam will not really cause issues. A bit of high power into a cheap bearing can sometimes cause problems. But I have seen a situation, where the stray beam reflects inside the projector, and actually found its way into the position detector of the scanner! The PD board is typically fiberglass, and at the right angles the beam can permeate through the layers of fiberglass and strike the photosensors inside the scanners, causing all kinds of weird things to happen! If the mirrors were properly sized and beam properly captured to start, this wouldnt have been a problem...
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

I agree, and fortunately most of the diode power is in the center of beam profile (3-4mm depending on diode specs/expansion ratio). As an example from my tests:
    P73 (with G2) can be clipped in height (NF) @4mm with -7% loss
    NDG7475 (with G2) can be clipped in height (NF) @3mm with -6% loss and only -1% @4mm

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think expectations come into this somewhat.
    When I fit a mirror that I know will 'just about' get the job done on a high power projector (i.e. the beam is close to the extents of the mirror at centre, so will overspill at the extents of scanning) I'm aware that I'll get some clipping and its a trade off in terms of mirror size, availability, scanning speed and cost.

The reality is that in the ever growing powers game, a 'bit' of clipping is not really significant in use. Lasers do not simply cease to become visible because a bit of stray beam, and most would be hard pressed to see the effects of some spillage caused by not all of the beam fitting on the mirror.

I like clipping as it cleans up the edges of the beam.