Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Technical Suggestions for a new On-Going Laser Light Show in a movie theatre

Default Need Technical Suggestions for a new On-Going Laser Light Show in a movie theatre

Hi Everybody,
    Back in the laser light show game again after 30 years ago. WOW things have changed! All for the good, Id say! We played with home-built helium neon tubes we hand made and I was even the guy who sold Laser Light Optics plans in the back of Popular Science magazine... LOL Im based in the Midwest USA and have an opportunity to own/operate/promote an on-going laser light show in a movie theatre in a well known resort town. Its being renovated, so all will be new and fresh! A great place for a show!

I am very clear on current day rules and regs and will work solid to make sure those items are high priority. My current/past background has been a special effects coordinator for movies, tv, commercials, etc., so this is going to be an exciting and fun venture!

Currently, I have decided to go the Pangolin route with their QuickShow 3.0 and, on order, a ClubMax3000 to just start with for the graphics portion. I will be running the new FB4 interface.
    From the projection room to the screen is 64 feet. The width is approx. 40 feet. There are 220 seats. Very high ceilings, especially in the front of the room.

I appreciate and seek your advise on several fronts please-

Beam show- Suggestions for number of units to be used for a beam show and what wattage do you think? Will put a very slight haze in the room.

Music- I know that the Pangolin Cloud programs don't come with music. I understand why. IF I were to create shows and use music like Pink Floyd, The Who, Queen, etc., does anyone have any experience how to deal with the rights and use? Some say you need to sign up with ASCAP and BMI, some say just buy and use the music, some say use the words "tribute to" in the PR. Interested on YOUR experience and thoughts....

Ticket Pricing- So, I've been jumping between $10 - $20 per ticket in $2 increments and interested in your thoughts. Sure some of this will depend on the market, the tourist traffic, if your thinking a 7 day a week show or 3 day weekend show, the amount of equipment invested into the show, etc. ANY COMMENTS are appreciated- Im open to listening.

Thanks everyone.................

You need ASCAP BMI etc for performance rights to the music. You need synchronization rights from the Artist to do choreography to the music. You need grand performance rights if you're doing something that's over the top like musical theatre.

I'd recommend finding someone who knows pango backwards and forwards who has a little experience that isn't 30 years out of date - you know - as a reality check...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Good points to note Laserist. I am a quick technical study and clearly know that this project will take time to put together- your comments and insight about reality check appreciated. You are right, it never hurts to have additional, experienced consultation on the front end... thanks!

Laser shows are ART, or they're CRAP. There's little in between. Being a "quick technical study" is a good starting point, but...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I've spent 30+ years designing live action special effects for almost 100 motion pictures, hundreds of commercials, etc., so creative and art are essential disciplines. From vision, timing, safety, entertainment value, storytelling, interaction, and soo much more, Im sure each and every laser artist is unique in their talent and performance. For record, I am returning to this field as a newbie and am respective and appreciative of any information and commentary offered to me.

Okay. It's about time somebody had a successful laser show on a flat screen in a converted theater - I can't imagine why nobody else ever thought that venue would be useful before - after all it's so obvious that people will flock to yet another ill considered laser show in an ill considered venue. You asked for help - funny thing - it doesn't always fit your preconceptions...

I can ascertain that you are a highly respected, professional international expert artist in the laser light show world and deem my efforts as novice... at least that's the way your replies sound to me. Not a problem or issue to me. its a funny thing... Leaders should influence others in such a way that it builds people up, encourages and educates them so they can duplicate this attitude in others.... Thought that's what forums were about...

And I can ascertain sarcasm. You may not like what I'm saying, but doesn't mean it's not educational.

How about a laser show in a car wash. Been done and made money. Venues can be strange and work. The problem is you never know till it works or fails. I like the idea. I'm in Cleveland where will this be located?

Where's the car wash?