Thread: Cable length

Default Cable length

If I want to place a projector approximately 30M from the computer, what is the best way to do this? Should I extend the DB 25 cable from the FSB or extend the USB to the FSB?

Most people use cat5 to usb extenders. You could also use a 30m ILDA/DB25 cable. Kvant sells some nice ones.

Cable is cheaper than USB extender, and while I'm a big fan of the latter, the cable may suit you better if you don't have recurring need to support this config.

Cable is cheaper than USB extender, and while I'm a big fan of the latter, the cable may suit you better if you don't have recurring need to support this config.
    Thanks, I'll do that.

Two best options for lengthy laser cabling in my experience are:
    1) ilda to x2 cat5 passive adapters, like the one sold by Stanwax
    2) buy two db25 connectors, and x2 same length cat5 cables of the length of your choice, solder the wires to the same pins on each side, apply heatshrink tubing every meter or so to keep the two individual cables stay together.
    Is pretty cheap and never had signal issues. Get cat5 cables with at least basic shielding though (foil based). 30m is not much for this.
    You only get 16 pins this way but its enough for r,g,b,x,y, interlock a, interlock b and gnd.

Not a fan of extending usb instead of the ilda cable. USB is more sensitive to signal loss and if you get an active extender that needs its own power source and 30 meters might still be too much for it.