Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free or cheap CAD for windows?

Default Free or cheap CAD for windows?

Well I think I have gotten to the point where I need a CAD program or something that I can use for making templates for front panels and for laying out a better drawing that I can with paint in windows, I know there is one for MAC but mine is ancient and need something for windows 10 that is free or low cost.
    I was wondering if there is something in that area?
    What do you guys use?
    I am wary to just goggle it as well you know it may not be good or come with unwanted spyware or just plain crappie stuff

I only need something that can make templates or 2D engineering drawings and am advised that it should store the drawing as a vector rather then a jpg or bmp like what comes stock with windows

Thanks
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

I use solidworks for 2/3D drawing. But it's not free.
    But you can download Draftsight for drawing 2D and it's complete Free software. You can also get a Pro version but the free is a great software. Check it out.
    http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/free_2d_tools.htm

https://www.3ds.com/products-service...free-download/

Greeting
    Poul.

... for 2D vector drawings I'm mostly using Corel Draw (actually Corel X6)- the versions with 1 to 2 version steps back can be found cheaper -- bought the X6 for 60€ in a software shop, while the X7 was 99€.

It's pretty good for scaling and construction drawings, especially with proper use of grid and snap settings ... did most of my comercial "microtech" construction with accuracies down to 0,1 microns with a magazine-bundle-version 10 from y2000 for then 5€ for the magazine

Viktor

Cool thanks guys, I had never even thought of corel draw, I just downloaded draftsight and did not even think of corel draw, I had thought that was for artist type stuff 60 euro I think is about 120 usd not sure of the current exchange rates

thanks guys for the info, there was one other program for making panel layouts but cant find the name of it, I saw it in a nut's and volts magazine a few years back as well
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Take a look at CADSTD aka Cad Standard by Apperson and Daughters... Nice freeware version with out advertisements. Worth paying for the pro version if all you need is 2D. Writes a 2D DXF file that can be imported by a few laser show programs, and writes to PDF for publishable documents.
    ~
    Have been using it for years for minor stuff and at work. It ain't Corel, but works well for a lot of 2D stuff. The symmetry tool makes nice images for laser show stuff. I've had no problems with it in Win 7, have not tried it in Win 8 or Win 10.
    ~
    Takes a while to figure out how to adjust the scal ever so slightly with some printers, but once you do, its golden.
    ~
    One of the few pieces of freeware that I have ever decided to pay for.
    ~
    http://www.cadstd.com/

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

DeltaCAD is a great 2D CAD app. I think you'll really like it. I've used it for many years. It saves its own format and also DXF. So it's pretty generic.

https://www.deltacad.com/

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Not sure if it's available to the US, but RS components are offering a range of free CAD packages and they appear to be very capable; I've used the PCB CAD and found it to be very good and I'm using the 3D CAD as well. uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=designspark

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    DeltaCAD is a great 2D CAD app. I think you'll really like it. I've used it for many years. It saves its own format and also DXF. So it's pretty generic.

https://www.deltacad.com/

James.
    Does it support a mouse?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

don't forget awesome free inkscape:

https://inkscape.org/en/
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

that's very much for the info, I will give them all some trys

thanks for the info!