Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Schneider Showlaser

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default A Schneider Showlaser

This is an hour and 15 minutes from me.. But I don't feel like selling the car to get it...
    []
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-Je...3D371670265496
    []
    Note, most people do not have the skills to maintain the Femtosecond lasers and OPOs inside...
    []
    Firing it up after six years of setting would require a complete optics cleaning and/or new OPO crystals if the nitrogen pressure capsule has leaked...
    []

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-20-2016 at 07:50.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I used to work for Jenoptik in the 90s. I had no idea they made those.

Beautiful machines. What did they average - about 10 watts RGB? Wasn't the output from a fiber?

Firing it up after six years of setting would require a complete optics cleaning and/or new OPO crystals if the nitrogen pressure capsule has leaked...
    As much as I enjoy working with exotic lasers, are there ANY show lasers/projectors being produced any more, that are not diode or at least DPSS based?

Hi,

Never thought I would see this "exact" laser again!

I designed the laser / projection system (AVI) that this was used for (and maintained this EXACT laser) - I believe (99% sure) this was originally from Hershey Park. I have the software and the laptop used to control this system in my lab... The laser AND the projector were BOTH state of the art. The 20W (measured a little more than that) white light laser output (fused silica step index 25u fiber) was input to a custom collimator (custom ground gradient index lens system) then into a non-polarized PCAOM system (PCAOM split the beams into polarized V/H beams, then multi-prism recombined back to a collinear beam, about 70% efficient too ) then into a pair of standard 6800HP scanners (regular size mirrors, but I machined the mount for the output lens) then into a custom lens system for the 358' throw to the screen. The result was a beam on the screen measured to be just a little less than 50mm - it was amazing to see, I wish I had taken even more photos...

DO NOT OPEN IT - It needs no cleaning, it is a stainless steel sealed unit (under the plastic top), and can only be opened in a Class 100 cleanroom! ALL of the mounts require special tooling to properly adjust it!!!

Here is a link to the short version of an article I wrote for the Laserist in 2001: http://www.laserist.org/Laserist/Fall01/Schneider.doc. I will dig up some pictures and video as soon as I get home today.

Aron
    Did my first "Laser Lumia Show" in 1974... and have never stopped experimenting !

Lumia,

The typical E bay listing is "not tested", but would this be too much to ask? I know why they do this, but is this a 3 phase unit with proprietary software that only an expert such as yourself could even boot up to confirm operational status?

I love it when things like this turn up!

Here is a paper on this laser: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

And here is a pic of the insides: (well I'm 99% confident it is).
    The only only note I have saved with it, is that the photo was dated from 2001, and the laser outputted 13W of RGB.

From memory: it consisted of 9x 18W 808nm fibre pumps.
    I'm sure there were only a dozen max of these made.

Last edited by danielbriggs; 12-21-2016 at 09:28.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

The system is single phase 220VAC. The system starts under computer control - mostly because each section in the laser comes up one at a time (IIR), Main Oscillator, then Optical Amplifier, etc. It will start to the pre start phase and then wait to start... Still at work, will look for more in a few hours.
    Did my first "Laser Lumia Show" in 1974... and have never stopped experimenting !

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I sent him a "Don't open it" message before I posted here, gave him Lumia's name. I received back a reply that he has one of its former technicians coming out to look at it.

Steve

neat but $10k for something doing unknown power if any and no modulation? even if it were doing the full 20+W I don't think it would be worth that price