Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Laser shows can't be found

Default Planetarium Laser shows can't be found

Surprised to find that 4 previous planetariums that had laser shows here in Michigan have all pulled them and gone with just light shows. Was going to take the kids on break, guess not now. Two were AVI based one was image engineering and the forth was unknown to me.

Is this happening in your state as well?
    leading in trailing technology

The planetarium near me took out the star machine not too long ago and said they wouldn't be doing anymore laser shows when I asked. It's understandable, I guess.

The attendance for planetarium laser shows has been dropping for decades. Part of the problem is marketing is so very much harder and more expensive today. Part of the problem is there are so many more things to do in your free time today. Part of the problem is the shows today are half & half. The good half is okay, and the other half isn’t even close. Beams and scans and toons, oh my! If planetariums were in business to make money they would demand quality, they would search for a new marketing model, and they’d have a chance for success. The problem is that planetariums aren’t in business, their definition of quality is a slowly descending spiral of “good enough”, and have a firm belief that the audience doesn’t know the difference. The audience may not know exactly what they’re missing, but if they don’t come back the difference still matters.
    Last edited by laserist; 12-29-2016 at 07:21.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

When in Orlando my dad mentioned a planetarium lasershow taking place somewhere over there a few years ago (3 years?).
    I know it isn't too helpfull as in location as I didn't go there myself (I was traveling further)

Another issue with Planetariums is not the quality, but simply that the number of people who are even interested in stars and planets, which at least in the UK, seems practically zero. I'm presuming that's becoming mirrored in the US. I think Astronomy is seen in almost the same shameful minority interest light as train spotting over here these days. I have a vague memory of once going to a planetarium in a museum in the early 1970's. However, I haven't even heard of one in the UK since then. I don't think however you projected stars, planet or nebula you could attract a viable audience in the UK for anything other than an enthusiasts one off, and that's probably been true for decades.

The market for lasers in the UK is strong. But it lies within hard dance clubs in the majority where a laser is pretty much compulsory. Outside of that, you're probably never likely to ever hear of or even see a laser, especially a planetarium one.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    The market for lasers in the UK is strong. But it lies within hard dance clubs in the majority where a laser is pretty much compulsory. Outside of that, you're probably never likely to ever hear of or even see a laser, especially a planetarium one.
    you are forgetting television, weddings, rich families, movies and just businesses looking to advertise their wares or celebrate an achievement or happening within their company. To me this is my biggest market and I'm able to live solely of these jobs without looking at even a single club. But this is the market of pre-programmed shows. The market is indeed very strong.. I've been struggling with time the past few months (not being home for most of the time) as demand was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    But this is the market of pre-programmed shows.
    What is the "laserist" for then? The market of pre-programmed shows seems like a recipe for obsolescence of the laser performer. One could simply hire a lighting guy to set up and press play until the event is over or worse, one could buy a laser projector on ebay for $200 and a couple of laser shows online rendering the "laserist" useless.

Pre-programmed shows are the fast food of the laser industry.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post

given the amount of time i spend creating pre-programmed shows, i hope that's not true
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    What is the "laserist" for then? The market of pre-programmed shows seems like a recipe for obsolescence of the laser performer. One could simply hire a lighting guy to set up and press play until the event is over or worse, one could buy a laser projector on ebay for $200 and a couple of laser shows online rendering the "laserist" useless.

That's like saying DJs make bands obsolete and it isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    That's like saying DJs make bands obsolete and it isn't true.
    This is a good analogy. I appreciate the talented folks that can make pretty light in real-time, but I don't think I've seen anything that could compete with a good pre-programmed beam show (much less graphics/abstract) outside of a few former ILDA award winning examples from someone like Tim Walsh. Live performance is great for clubs and such, but I don't think it can hold many people's interest for long by itself.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"