Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: laser diode for fabrics cutting

Thank all for the info I was given!

So it is doable to put an 2 to 4 W module on a CNC router and be able to cut fabrics with this setup.

Are you familiar with any "budget" options to be able to test such setup. I have some kind of cnc router, controled with arduino based controler.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

viktor -

it partly depends on the medium, of course. i'll do some tests next time i have some spare anodized aluminum handy. i've got most of a galvo based laser engraving system sitting in a box waiting for a new pump source (it's yag) or maybe a a fiber laser. it's just money and time, but the shorter wavelength would give me a smaller spot than this co2 system.

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    Hi Swami,

what's the finest spot diameter or line width you can engrave?

If bigger than 0,05mm, then it would be problematic to measure grid distances or finest step differences.

With the laserdiodes I'm receiving spot diameters down to 0,04mm, with the fiberlasers down to 0,02mm - or 0,005mm (5 microns) with a beam expander ... then measuring the widths/differences or steps with a microscope is no problem ...

Viktor
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

@stano4000 - you can find a bunch of related information here too: http://forums.reprap.org/list.php?133

@Swami - for fine measuring I'm mostly engraving black (or dark) anodized aluminium ... but you can use "carbonized" steel sheets too.

For testing the parameters of NdYAG, disk- or fiberlasers I'm using razor blades - it gives smaller holes than the spot diameter is, but you can estimate the "real" values by the quality of the bore.

With standard optics I've got spot diameters of roughly 0,07mm with smaller (20-60Watts) RF-CO2-lasers, 0,03mm with Q-switched NdYAG, and 0,02mm with diode-pumped disk- and fiber-lasers ... and down to 200 Nanometers with an Excimer-laser.

Adding a 1:3 beam-expander can halve the diameters, but could be pretty pricey for CO2 or UV-lasers too ...

Viktor

Viktor thank you very much. For all answers.