Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Forum for my study

I have a forum. Feel free to drop by. http://hingednewt.lefora.com

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    I created a forum, with a username, and I chose to keep it anonymous, I see nothing wrong with that at all. Do you think a forum owner should announce who is is to the world?
    You have every right to be anonymous if you choose. No one has a problem with that.

You were sock-puppeting. That's quite different. And yes, I have a problem with that - as does Spec. A lot of people have a problem with that, in fact.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HobbyLasers View Post
    I would recon that it exists many users with multiple accounts on many forums, would you expect a forum administrator to tell you who they are just because you "like to know" are not a member of www.HobbyLasers.com ? I cannot actuall know if you registered or not.
    Watching this unfold is like watching three kids arguing over sweets or who has the best dog.
    polishedball, Shadow & lasersbee you guys behave like children, you likely never met JohnYayas Or the owner of that other forum, but you speak like you are rival neighbors.

Grow the F up. and stop acting like 3 immature little girls

Maybe contribute to PL might be more useful.
    I will be the next one to register on the new forum, where it likely is free from such stupidity.

Cheers
    Andy

No one was curious of your actual given name...
    There is always a reason for such secrecy it seems.
    Now that we know... It makes no difference to me
    other than I now know why all the defensiveness.

Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sockpuppet.png  

Last edited by lasersbee; 01-31-2017 at 04:19.
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

I don't see the need for another forum especially not with the name hobby.. Why not have a place where hobbyist and industry professionals come together... that way hobbyist can learn from those who apply their techniques into the field that are proven to work. PL is a place what you make of it. You treat others like how you'd like to be treated and it's a great place! The rest goes for the industry itself as well.

I don't mind the Ads at all.. whatever it takes to keep PL alive and running properly.
    the ads on LPF are way more out of control and PL has a lot of valuable archived information that is of significant value to any learning laserist.
    Last edited by masterpj; 01-31-2017 at 08:10.

Spec should have a closer look at PL then, there are others with multiple accounts; but in the end nobody really give a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    You have every right to be anonymous if you choose. No one has a problem with that.

You were sock-puppeting. That's quite different. And yes, I have a problem with that - as does Spec. A lot of people have a problem with that, in fact.

Adam

Spec should have a closer look at PL then, there are others with multiple accounts
    Spec keeps a very close watch on PL, and he is well aware of multiple account holders. When they are caught sock-puppeting, they are warned. Sometimes in private, sometimes in public. And in really egregious cases, very much in public (like you, for instance).

in the end nobody really give a hoot.
    Depends on how people use (or abuse, in your case) those multiple accounts. In your case, people cared quite a lot because you were sock-puppeting. That's why you got called out.

Short version: Don't sock-puppet. Ever. It's really not that hard to understand.

Adam

the fact that andy is part of this is more incentive not to register. Shady
    The amount of times that man threatened me in my private life is unreal.
    Don't allow this man to manipulate you and seperate a community that is great.
    That is all I have to say about this.

Thank you spec for showing us who was behind the account.
    I also think it's time I give back to PL now as I should have long ago.

*subscribes to PL*
    Last edited by masterpj; 01-31-2017 at 08:48.

Spec should have a closer look at PL then, there are others with multiple accounts; but in the end nobody really give a hoot.
    Fine, lets start here shall we. There's someone else in this thread who is currently evading an old ban on another user name and I don't care because they aren't doing anything bad with it, like, I don't know: Pretending to be someone else as to lend credibility to their own argument or sell people shit. Another reason I'm not acting: People change over time and sometimes it's for the better and "loading" them down with past transgressions is overkill. Philosophically, this is one of the reasons why there are Juvenile courts. Kids do stupid shit with no concept of the future, so why ruin a potential future. People do change, as much as they will deny they do. That aside, I do not have a script that automatically looks for ban evasions/sock puppeting, it's usually invoked in response to people getting weirded out by the actions of a user/users in a thread. And the funny part is, it's surprising how accurate peoples bullshit sensors are here. Way better than a coin flip.

I have renamed the script that searches for bans/sockpuppets "The PuppyKicker(Tm)" since you seem to think this is a personal slight against you instead of what it actually is, a tool used to keep a level playing field for everyone. The alternative is that I bury IP addresses as publicly available data in every post and let someone else do it.

I created a forum, with a username, and I chose to keep it anonymous, I see nothing wrong with that at all. Do you think a forum owner should announce who is is to the world?
    Me too! Yet a large number of people here know my name and full mailing address. This is the "price" for interacting with people on any capacity greater than topically. It's not a bad thing, you should try it.
    [/quote]

It is considered a blasphemy and everyone should know the identify of forum owner?

I wonder, do you consider that a website admin should announce who he is and show to the world his IP address?
    I didn't dox you and your IP is dynamic, get over it. Do you glitch out when you drive your car and a traffic cam scrapes your license plate? The second there is a law on the books stating that posting on a forum is an inalienable right afforded all the protections of law that being a citizen of a country entails as opposed to a privilege subject to further agreed upon rules and restrictions above and beyond the law of the land I will change my position.

Do you consider it fair to label a website admin a scammer?
    Yes, if the website admin is a scammer. And sock puppeting is not a good way to start, breh.

Interested in your opinions
    I seriously doubt that.

That is a users opinion, not mine. I will delete his comment.
    Let's invert this for a second as a thought experiment.

Ohh hey, look at this admin deleting user content based on personal preference alone. That's a violation of the trust your users put in you.

What you were supposed to say is "The content posted by the user is his, and his alone - and whether I agree with it or not is inconsequential. He can chose to post whatever he wants irrespective of my personal opinions. The alternative is a slippery slope into censorship and content policing. What would the world be like if everyone agreed with me? Pretty horrible."

As a side note: I will not reply to your PM. If you wish to post it publicly then I will be glad to go through it point by point, but that would be your choice, I will not do it for you as I classify PM content as, as the name implies, private. See? This is what respecting your users looks like.

To borrow a phrase I like: "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." Get some.

No need to write 200 words to explain the way you want your website to be,.

I wish to remind you and others on this " Website ". the content of the original post,. It is polite, clean and without the use of vulgar words. Nothing in that post justified verbal attacks, slanderous behavior or any other negative comments. Not one word was anti PL, you, or any other PL member.

I've created this other forum to share my study of Laser Diodes and related hardware. I welcome you to join.

HOBBYLASERS HL - Laser Diode Research and more. i hope you like the design too!

http://www.HobbyLasers.com

I wish my forum to compliment PL so i intend to create a link from it to here, i do not desire to be in anyway competing with PL or any other related forum.

Last edited by andyf97; 01-31-2017 at 13:52.

No need to write 200 words to explain the way you want your website to be,.
    No need to read them on your part either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyTc1Nl.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	51647