Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resources for Lumia

Richard Goulet had a top secret box that he built with the help of friends at an aerospace company - say around 1984. I never saw it, but that box looks like what he described. He wanted Sam to buy the rights for Laserium to use it. Sam was a lot of - things, and visionary wasn't one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Heya Mike..

..Diggin the section.. Nice werk.. Hope we can get our beloved Wiki back, someday, but.. Till then, nice joerb..

..Anyhoo, was going thru some 'Laserium Movepocalypse' photos, and came across this pup.. Thought ya'll might njoy the 'pr0n'.. Not quite sure who made these (there's a *possibility* that these may have been a prototype built-by (or, inspired-by, anyway..) Gary Stadtler, of the old-skool 'Aurora PS' fame.. Not sure, tho..) But, what I Am sure of is.. This is the 'Mother of All Lumia Turrets', easily.. Built to withstand WWIII, IV and V..

Attachment 51833 Attachment 51834

..Each 'layer' was designed to be both indie-rotatable (all fx-positions do rotate, together..) and indie-selectable.. And then the *second-layer* (the 'cover' there..) would provide an additional layer of lumia-sickness, ie: imagine shooting a beam thru a burst-grating, on one layer.. Then thru a lumia, on the second.. or visa-versa.

..Of course, the 'box', there, is not set-up (as-shown..) to actually 'pass content' - it is all sealed-up / no beam I/O, presently.. I am guessing this was a 'test-jig' for the stepper-control rig, etc, dunno.. But, could easily be machined-out to provide I/O, and plenty of room for pre-lumia pos'n prisms / lenses, etc..

..as the saying goes, 'They don't build stuff like they Used to', and I'm pretty-sure this is the 'poster child' for that statement.. If nothing else, maybe it can provide some 'inspiration' / idea-seeds for the budding Lumia-grasshoppers that visit, herein..

cheers..
    j
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duco.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	663.6 KB 
ID:	53079
    Just for the record - it was Lumia produced using Duco Cement that set Ivan Dryer on the road to creating Laserium.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duco.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	663.6 KB 
ID:	53079
    Just for the record - it was Lumia produced using Duco Cement that set Ivan Dryer on the road to creating Laserium.
    Thank you for sharing. I love these little historical gems!

Where can I purchase Machado gratings? I found one at spectrabeam.de, but they only had one, i'm looking for more, anyone know where to find?

Those are great suggestions but I do find some cheaps equipments that can be found on other site not just on ebay like for example this
    Ideal for cutting up aluminum for motor and lens mounts, base plates, etc. Note that you want to set it for the slowest speed and you need to keep the wheels clean of aluminum debris. These aren’t really designed for metal work, but if you use a 14tpi blade and keep ‘em clean, they work a treat.
    you can but it in power jack motion company. http://www.powerjackmotion.com they offer much cheaper price than ebay.

Just grabbed a great motor out of a trashed telescope mount. Might even call it too slow. Nice affect.

Been playing with moving my beam over a non moving surface so image doent rotate. I like it better than rotating the lumia optic.

Took a piezo speaker and edge mounted it to a clear little plastic bag. Add a little fluid water oil so far and it make a nice lumia you can kind of control by how the fluid is energized. Think clear ketchup packet vibrating to the piezo making standing waves. Not very efficient reflector and hard to see if refraction is used. It’s a start.

Hi,

I have been building some lumia too and have done some experiments with fluids and piezos (petri dish and standing wave patterns) and linear actuators but I have not come as far as to putting it in live use yet!
    I have also been given some broken moving heads lately so lots of good gobo holders and what not that is already DMX-controlled....just missing some workshop time!

This is one of my lumias, build from scratch using my CNC-machine.

I will try to post som pics of the mechanics later.

Quote Originally Posted by dar303 View Post
    Hi,

I have been building some lumia too and have done some experiments with fluids and piezos (petri dish and standing wave patterns) and linear actuators but I have not come as far as to putting it in live use yet!
    I have also been given some broken moving heads lately so lots of good gobo holders and what not that is already DMX-controlled....just missing some workshop time!

This is one of my lumias, build from scratch using my CNC-machine.

I will try to post som pics of the mechanics later.
    Nice job is that fluid driven?

https://americanart.si.edu/search?query=lumia

wilfred

thinking to combine the wilfred ideas with laser.

SAINT Wilfred, to me...

...Mike
    St. Wilfred’s Lumentic Institute
    Runs with Lasers