Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please

Thanks again to all that have given me some advise. it seems every one is on the same page with a solution.
    I will first contact LKH and see if they can offer a solution.
    If not then i will get to work making a beam reducer and use the colour mixing sums.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Buffo's suggestion of masking the 650 and dialing back the blue may give you a nice white but at a severe loss of overall power. It's absolutely worth trying. And if you pop the lid off and the 650 looks easy to remove, replacing it with a second 638 module could be a good fix. I know that may sound like a daunting task but, maybe with the help of some pictures of the inside, we can talk you through it.
    PM Sent...

Im all up for getting my hands dirty ! I repair LED lights and moving heads so I'm quite good and that sort of thing.

Any recommendations on where to find a new red diode ? Im sure a quick google will reveal something, but i would rather ask the guys in the know. :-)
    Last edited by A1XD; 02-06-2017 at 06:42.

Although it' state side, DTR Laser:

For a driver you need to follow the links at the bottom of his driver page to some of the seller's who sell projector drivers as I believe the ones in DTR's shop are Laser Pointer drivers and don't modulate the output.

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/flexdrives

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes

He may very well be able to just find a small module in a similar footprint to the 650. We'll kind of need to see a picture of the inside of the case to help figure that out.
    PM Sent...

Im away on an install this week. This weekend i will open them up and post some pictures.

Look forward to chatting with you guys again soon :-)

Is it a common thing to use both 650 and 635 in a projector?

Very uncommon actually. There are some wavelengths of red that actually require a pretty expensive dichro from Semrock to pull it off. I don't recall specifically which but, I'm willing to bet this projector doesn't have it. That may be a bit of the issue as well.

Actually here's a bit about the dichro:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...semrock+dichro
    Funny thing is reading about Buffo being excited at the prospect of adding 150mW of 635 to his projector. Losses these days through dichros are higher than that.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 02-07-2017 at 19:00.
    PM Sent...

Wow that thread is from 2008. Does that mean that the 635nm from that time was dpss? I'm pretty certain the diodes weren't available then.
    About the efficiency he states: "Efficiency will be around 98% for the reflected beam, and 96% for the transmitted beam." I don't know much about lab lasers or their optics but I do know that is insanely efficient given that the difference in wavelength is only 15-25nm.
    No wonder A1XD is getting output issues on his projector. I think you're right about it not having that dichro. He got a falsely advertised projector.

Geez I was thinking of buying my first projector but just like pointers, it's better to make your own.

Nothing wrong with buying a large number of the available projectors out there but, there is absolutely something to be said for building your own. First, that's a huge reason for the existence of this very forum in the first place. Second, that gives you an absolute understanding of the how's and why's of your own projector as well as future ones you might consider buying and be able to help others when questions arise with their own. You can build it however you want and set up however you want. Want to do six lines of color built into the carcass of an old outboard boat motor housing? Have at it. But, just like pc's, it's become cheaper to buy many models out there than it is to build them so, there has been a lack of what the DIY junkies are starving for on here and, that's pictures and stories of your own experiences at building your own rig.
    635 was diode too if I recall but, similar to 650 it had a very large beam diameter that was hard to tame. It also leans very much to the orange side of red but, by comparison it was cheap compared to the high end 640nm wavelength or even the 637. And being lower in number, you required far less of it to increase perceived brightness. The higher the number, the more of it you needed to create the same level of brightness. Hence the fact that it was cheaper in the long run, with the trade off of beam quality.
    PM Sent...