Thread: Red color faintly visible through Red Epic camera

Default Red color faintly visible through Red Epic camera

Hi,

We were shooting 3 colors laser with Red Epic camera. In some reasons only red color doesn't show up strong enough like others. With the naked eyes, 3 colors are equally strong.
    Anyone can guess why this is happening?

https://www.facebook.com/heebok/vide...4053974941106/

Thanks in advance,

Garin

No experience with this camera, but I assume it has been properly white balanced.

Do you know the specific wavelenght of the red laser? ; 635/640/650/660/671nm
    Maybe if it is > 650nm it is the IR filter blocking the light for being too close to the end of the spectrum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCC1645C_780.gif 
Views:	10 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	51664

edit: picture attached for reference, not actual red epic graph.
    Last edited by -bart-; 02-03-2017 at 01:10.

likely 650 or so I bet. The cameras IR filter blocks it out. Had the same problem with my logitech C920 webcam almost blocking out all red.. strong color correction was required and it made all the colors go completely off when doing it as I was recording.

CCDs are ultra sensitive to 650ish wavelength and a filter is in place for most cameras to balance the light. Most astrophotographers have to deal with this if they want to take sky shots of emission nebulae as they are mainly around 656nm. Here is an older article about it.

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/DSLR_HA.HTM
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    No experience with this camera, but I assume it has been properly white balanced.
    It's a £50k video camera and pretty much one of the best you can buy. Hollywood movies have been shot on these so it will be balanced and filtered.

I know, it has pretty sophisticated color management capabilities. And there are many ways to screw things up.
    Color management is not something that will auto-magically fix itself with these cameras.