Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modular Synth Question

Default Modular Synth Question

Hi all, I've been working on a project for a while that I think is pretty much complete. Free time is not something I've had a lot of lately so what should have only taken a couple weeks has taken around 6 months! Now that it's complete, I'm wondering how much interest there might be in such a device. It's a Eurorack module and is 18HP wide. There are two independent VCQO's and 2 output channels (basically, 1 for X and 1 for Y). Sine from oscillator A goes to output 1 and cosine from oscillator B goes to output 1 (summed via an op-amp). Sine from oscillator B goes to output 2 and cosine from oscillator A goes to output 2 (summed via an op-amp). The rate of each oscillator can be set via the multi-turn potentiometer and/or a CV. The VCQO is the exact same oscillator in the Z-5.
    Here's a video of the prototype in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCdp7c2idIg
    And a pic of the front panel below. Not sure on price yet. I do know that the panel and 2 circuit boards for each module is nearly $200. That doesn't include all the parts to make it work.
    I'd appreciate any feedback, just not sure if I should pull the trigger on this or not.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel_v2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	51672

Awesome stuff. Sounded like some G-120s chattering at that square wave.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Looks cool David... What are you thinking? A smaller modular version of Z-5 maybe..

That is very cool. needs some colormod goodness

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Awesome stuff. Sounded like some G-120s chattering at that square wave.
    Ha! Yep, they just keep running!

What are you thinking? A smaller modular version of Z-5 maybe..
    It may be possible, but would be a long way off. This is just my attempt to scratching the surface of the modular synth world. There's plenty of oscillators out there so I'm just not sure if this would be a worthwhile addition to the market or not. Not even sure how many modular synth users out there connect to a laser projector.

I think a modular console would be awesome. If you "parted out" the different generators in the Z-5, someone could "buy" a Z-5, one component at a time. Granted, buying in this fashion is generally more expensive than buying a completed unit but for some, maybe it's the only way they can buy it.

The other part of it would be the learning curve. If people buy one component at a time, they get to play with a single mod at a time. They could buy an oscillator bank, get to know it, learn what can be done with it. When they want a higher range of complexity, they buy a second oscillator bank. Then amplitude modulation, rotation/orbit mod, joystick mod, etc, etc, etc..... Just a though.

As always though, nice work, DZ!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I think a modular console would be awesome. If you "parted out" the different generators in the Z-5, someone could "buy" a Z-5, one component at a time. Granted, buying in this fashion is generally more expensive than buying a completed unit but for some, maybe it's the only way they can buy it.

The other part of it would be the learning curve. If people buy one component at a time, they get to play with a single mod at a time. They could buy an oscillator bank, get to know it, learn what can be done with it. When they want a higher range of complexity, they buy a second oscillator bank. Then amplitude modulation, rotation/orbit mod, joystick mod, etc, etc, etc..... Just a though.

As always though, nice work, DZ!
    This -
    In 5U MU format so it could plug in with the rest of my modules!!
    In fact, I'm thinking that VCQO would look mighty fine in 5U

Ditto on the nice custom work!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

This would be great! Especially for Eurorack since there are a ton of modules that will work with this and LZX Industries makes an ILDA interface to use with analog signals.
    I have a whole rack that I use for my abstract laser work, kind of like my own Z-5 made of modular synth modules.
    I think it would be grand to have an RGB modulation module, as that has been the trickiest part for me to get something with 3 outputs that can cross-modulate or sync to other oscillators.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 5.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	51775

I have a full set of mood modular modules. Hand built including logs and vco. Filters. Etc.... I will lend them to you if you'd like. They are all Oakley synth. I even have a midi to control voltage module. Mixers, ring mods, phasers, filters, adsrs....

What would be cool is to make an intervals module so you can switch between cool patterns on the fly. Like a 2x3x. For the vco. Smooth morphing between intervals of resonance. Patch storage and recall. I wonder how filters would react. Would be interesting to filter a square wave and have it morph to a triangle?