Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CampLEM Mark I - May 11th-14th 2017 - Northern California

I'm not gonna bother bringing a tent. Ill bring some rope and a Hammock. Ill pick up a large painters sheet once I'm in Cali and just set up a lean to shelter. As far as meals Go Ill have to plan that after I arrive in California. Will there be a refrigerator on the property or is this gonna be all backpacking style meals .
    Also I'm going to bring a Brights flashlight that takes 18650 Lithium batteries Does anyone have a few they could bring I don't think they are allowed on the plane.
    Lasers
    •405nm violet(blue-ray) laser-eBay I fixed it ya
    •473nm 10mW LSR473NL series blue laser module www.lasever.com review
    •488nm 5mW Novalux Protera DPSS Laboratory Unit
    •532nm 5mW green laser www.elitelasers.com
    •650nm 5mW red

Also I'm going to bring a Brights flashlight that takes 18650 Lithium batteries Does anyone have a few they could bring I don't think they are allowed on the plane.
    I have a couple I will bring and a charger. They are allowed in carry-on though.

I can probably be in Redding by 4pm or so. Meeting at the airport? Will plan to bring my extra camp gear - chairs, a tent and cooler.

I will cook a big pot of jambalaya one night (maybe Friday?).

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerman121 View Post
    . . .Will there be a refrigerator on the property or is this gonna be all backpacking style meals .
    . . .
    There will be coolers. I'll make sure there's ice.

Quote Originally Posted by scnlns View Post
    I have a couple I will bring and a charger. They are allowed in carry-on though.

I can probably be in Redding by 4pm or so. Meeting at the airport? Will plan to bring my extra camp gear - chairs, a tent and cooler.

I will cook a big pot of jambalaya one night (maybe Friday?).
    Sounds like a plan. You coming in Thursday or Friday? And yes, I agree, lithium batteries are allowed in carry-on. I would carry spares in a plastic case.

Can I come along ? I won't be able to bring any gas lasers, of the other type. I will be able to meet you on Thursday. have extra room in ride. C u soon

Quote Originally Posted by rgb-gas View Post
    Can I come along ? I won't be able to bring any gas lasers, of the other type. I will be able to meet you on Thursday. have extra room in ride. C u soon
    See ya then!

9 days Away. My internship ends tomorrow So Ill be getting things ready end of the week. I'm flying out to California on the 9th. I am beyond excited. Also Im thinking about shipping out a couple of Phlatlight LED's Anyone Got access to between 10 and 30 Amps Constant current.
    Lasers
    •650nm 5mW red

Hey guys sorry for the double post but we are 4 days out. I am Packing up a small box to ship out there With some laser junk in it and I have extra room in the box. Does anyone collect rocks? I have some top grade Amazonite From the Morefield Mine I can through in if there is anyone interested.
    Lasers
    •650nm 5mW red

Looks like this week is the week!

A few notes for you all, as we approach CampLEM:

- The weather has been sunny, and looks to remain that way, probably. It's been a little chilly at night, so make sure to bring a few extra layers. There is already plenty of firewood, so it won't be hard to stay warm, but definitely bring a jacket and some intermediate layers--maybe a hat too. Deerlick Springs is at about 3000 ft elevation, so the weather here can be a bit random, with systems blowing in from random directions. It's 80F right now but it was 40 last night. Go figure.

- So far, there are two dinners planned, one by me and one by scnlns. There will be a propane grill and, of course, fire, to cook with, onsite. Make sure to bring enough food for your stay as there aren't any nearby stores within 15 miles.

- The property we're using has been graciously provided by PL member Picasso. There are a few simple ground rules here that will be listed on a form I'll pass out with your liability waivers. Most importantly, no firearms or shooting, no pets, and no recreational vehicles. I don't think anybody was planning on bringing any of these with them, but it's worth mentioning. It is also requested that you bring a reusable water container, instead of disposable plastic bottles. There is super-clean water here that comes from multiple springs on or next to the property.

- After making a few improvements to the roads, and since it's been dry and should remain that way, I'm pretty sure we'll use the "Up the Creek" area. The first small creek crossing is easy and the stream crossing near the back is also much easier now. I still would not drive say, a Honda, across that section, but it probably could be done. Either way, I will make sure everyone gets where they need to be, with their gear.

- I wouldn't call this a leave-no-trace camping trip, per se, but may as well shoot for that. Please pack out whatever you pack in.

- See you all soon!

Is anyone still thinking about meeting up in Redding Thurs late afternoon or evening? Anyone arriving at the airport in that time window?

Quote Originally Posted by scnlns View Post
    Is anyone still thinking about meeting up in Redding Thurs late afternoon or evening? Anyone arriving at the airport in that time window?
    I'll be making a run to town tomorrow afternoon for some supplies. Not sure anyone's arriving at that airport. Will be in touch so we can caravan back, as an option.

--

Also, a few notes on the road in here. Harrison Gulch Road is an 11 mile, mostly-dirt road. Here are some waypoints:
    (After turning off CA-36, reset your odometer.)
    -2.2mi Pavement ends
    -2.7mi Reflector
    -4.1mi Reflector
    -5.8mi Reflector
    -8.0mi Reflector
    -10.2mi Browns Creek Bridge (almost there!)
    -11.0mi Deerlick Springs Entrance
    -11.2mi DLS General Store (stop here to check in)

Here is what the reflectors look like (This one's next to a buried fiberoptic cable.):

If you see one of these, you're going the right way.

- J