Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver Recommendation

Default Driver Recommendation

I'm looking at ordering a 12x SO6J 405nm Diode, but I need a TTL driver suggestion. I reached out to Jordan at DTR but he had no recommendations. Can anyone offer any help?

Ebay is full of them. One thing is for sure though, get a Lasorb on that thing. I have not met a 405nm yet that hasn't died. I suspect the lack of a Lasorb is probably what did them in. Small transients in current/voltage, possibly ESD... who knows? Anyway, with a Lasorb, I am pretty sure any cheap driver on ebay would suffice.

e.g.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-4...Hh5FSPkqd5j8qQ
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

This is what I use with my S06J.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-TTL-Laser...3D142129451698

I can't make any claims on reliability or durability yet though as it doesn't have much time on it yet. It was cheap and easy though which was all I was after. The shipping time was pretty bad though but I don't think it was the sellers fault. Mine seemed to have gotten held up in customs.

Here is another option with more features. I have one of his older, multi-channel drivers in my RGB projector that has worked flawlessly for over 2 years. I haven't tried this particular driver though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3A-analog-li...kAAOSwUEVYCzO0

If you want really cheap then there's these.

http://www.aixiz.com/store/product_i...roducts_id/103

I use these in my single mode laser pointers. They're a great deal.
    Last edited by ZeroPoint; 02-14-2017 at 04:32.
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroPoint View Post
    Here is another option with more features. I have one of his older, multi-channel drivers in my RGB projector that has worked flawlessly for over 2 years. I haven't tried this particular driver though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3A-analog-li...kAAOSwUEVYCzO0
    I have about 50 of these drivers and they are my favorite driver including for running 405nm diodes.

Also, +1 for Absolom's advice. I've blown several 405nm diodes while running them for long periods of time. Inadequate cooling and back-reflection off of PBS cubes are my current suspects, but you can't go wrong with adding a Lasorb.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

@dkumpula, do you know if he still sells any multi-channel drivers? I only see two single channel options on his eBay store. Do you know if he has discontinued the other models?
    LASERS!!

Drop him a message, that's BBE on PL. Vladimir.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

@James211, I just came across your other post about engraving. While I don't have any experience with engravers I just wanted to point out that you don't need to get hung up on the defference between TTL and Analog for your driver. One of the drivers I recommended (which might be the best option for you after seeing your intended purpose) is actually an analog driver. An anolog driver is generally superior to TTL drivers and can function just as easily as a TTL driver, but TTLL cannot function as analog.

For clarification, TTL simply indicates that the driver only responds to a logic 1 or 0 (the laser can either be 100% on or off, there's no in between). An analog driver can modulate the laser output from 0-100% or anywhere in between. This characteristic is important from a visual aspect because it offers a wide range of color blending that a projector can produce. For your application, however, it's possible that either the engraver or the software (I don't know how it all works) could not take advantage of the analog benefits. The analog driver would still work just fine though and you would probably still get better results from a quality analog driver than you would from a cheap TTL driver. I guess that's a matter of modulation frequency though and I don't know your requirements are there.
    LASERS!!

Thanks Norty. I remembered his name was something along those lines but I kept thinking MME for some reason.
    LASERS!!

... I'm actually redoing my high power driver for diodes with needed currents of 1,6A (2W@445nm-diodes) to 9A (9W@975nm-diodes).

This is the new "intelligent" module with abilities to react to all types of inputs and driving in TTL or analog modes - I'm driving them mostly TTL but with variable pulse/pause-ratios, so per TTL adjustable "effective" powers from 0% to 100% (pulsing to CW):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lasermodul V7_kl.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	386.2 KB 
ID:	51749

- attached the measured pulse forms (measured across a 100 Milliohm shunt resistor = 10 microseconds pulse, 60 microseconds pause) for 1.6A, 4A, 5.7A and 8A - above 5.7A there's some sort of resonant breakdown, what's the next task to tackle it down ...

Viktor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1600mA_10us.jpg  

4A_10us.jpg  

5700mA_10us.jpg  

8A_10us.jpg  

... solved the "resonant breakdown" - it's related to the relation of supporting voltage for the OPamp and the drawn current.

Here a DSO snapshot showing 25µs-pulses with 12Amps (1,2Volts across the 0,1 Ohm shunt resistor) ... the pulse-time could be longer (up to CW) ... and the current could be up to 40Amps (limited by the actual PS), but then the MOSFET's went too hot for the small coolers actually attached:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12A_25us.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	51761

Viktor