Thread: WTB: Lexel mixed gas head or tube

Default WTB: Lexel mixed gas head or tube

Would like to find a mixed gas Lexel head or tube. Last time I checked in, I had no luck finding a white light Lexel. Would prefer a 95, but would also be interested in other models. I've got power supplies and accessories for 75's, 85's and 95's, Anyone happen to have a head or tube that they're not too attached to anymore?

Thanks,
    Brad

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bradstockdale View Post
    Would like to find a mixed gas Lexel head or tube. ...
    Funny you should say 'mixed gas' (vs Ar/Kr..) as that's exactly who you should talk to.. https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...p/523-mixedgas ..He - used-to - have access to a hook-up with a "barnload" of Lexelware, tubes, etc.. Certainly cannot 'speak for him', as to current stock / status, etc (especially for a 'Rare-as-Hens-Teeth' WL-Lexel... That's a gem, most-likely, that will have to get Pumped, vs one just 'layin around'...) ..but.. If Anyone knows the way down that 'yellow brick road', it will be Herr Professor...

Fwiw..
    Cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thanks for the reply. I've pinged Steve. He weighed in on my last attempt to find a white light Lexel...

I dug out some of my Lexel equipment today. Was able to get two of my 75's to fire up. The 95, it was non-functional when I put it away. Tube was damaged in shipping, hence why I'd like to find a 95 head/tube... Last time I checked into the cost of having my 95 rebuilt and converted to white light, it was cost prohibitive for even an ion laser hobbyist. Not sure if the situation has changed much, especially since our beloved ion lasers are being replaced by more modern alternatives... If it was a specialty before, I have a feeling that its even more of a specialty now. But, I guess I should explore that route too.

I have an ALC 909 Ar system too, with a switching PSU. I have heard these can be converted as well, but have not looked into it in the past... I felt that my 909 was a perfectly good Ar and I hated to have it converted unless it already needed rebuilt... But maybe that's a direction I should look at.. Take a known good head and ship it off myself to have it converted...

Thanks for the reply.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Would you settle for a tandem pair? That can be done from stock parts. My friend can probably set you up with a OEM Krypton head for a 95 PSU.
    ~
    . Whitelighting is expensive, if I have to whitelight, its two-three days of work, and it will likely be a I90MRA will run off your Lexel 95 PSU using a Coherent tube in a ugly open frame medical resonator. I90MRA does not fit into a I90 Scientific Head. Those do 1.5 to 2.4 watts of Whitelight, depending on available optics, desired balance, and the quality of the Brewster windows. Mine did 2.4 ran full out.
    ~
    It costs me before profit, 375-450$ round trip just to drive or fly to the warehouse (out of state)and fire up the vacuum system, plus the cost of the tube from my friend's warehouse, then I need to make a profit, pay for shipping etc. Because my friend with the tubes is so busy, I know I will hear what I've heard in the past, "YOU COME DO IT, IF YOU WANT THE SALE", hence a trip from Akron Ohio to the Warehouse at St. Louis. Then you have crating and shipping from St. Louis to the west coast.
    ~
    Vacuum system needs to idle for a day to get to final pressure, it takes a day to cut the tube fill stem open, weld on, adjust the pressure and get the tube to lase, then a burn in and pinch off. Plus two days of travel..
    ~
    If I do it in Ohio, I need to have some tube cores drop shipped from St. Louie, rent a genny, and still spend one to two days tuning up my vacuum system here. Then I have to screen those tubes to find a good candidate, that means install in resonator, run the tubes, pick a good one, and proceed from there... That may be more cost effective, but I still have to bill you for my time, even if the tubes don't do well.
    ~
    It thus may be easier to have my friend test a 95KR head and sell it to you. However, he is still going to want me to drive to St Louis just so he can see his friend. That is a personal issue that is kind of unavoidable.
    ~
    Bottom line, getting a white light (and we might as well do a tube and a spare due to fixed costs) probably requires me to take a road trip. Is this really worth a the better part of two Thousand dollars ? My friend's market is medical, and there are Eye docs that still use Argons, so he keeps the vacuum system for certain tubes that can be re-adjusted in pressure. The price the medical market will pay is far in excess then what I would charge to build up a white light. He has piles of pure Argons and a few Kryptons. The issue is that hobbyists do not want to pay the medical rate for his time, so often he wont even answer the phone if its not a MD or Me on the other end. His fixed costs are the same either way... He views hobbyists and most laser show folks as a distraction, because of the time required to support a non-medical customer far exceeds what it takes to support a highly automated medical system.
    ~
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-14-2017 at 10:32.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Steve,

I would be interested in setting up a tandem system, yes. A Krypton head that can run off my 95 supply would be great. I've tried to find a mixed gas Lexel 95 for some time to no avail, so I think it's time to consider alternatives.

The price you mention for converting an I90 tube isn't bad, given the fact that white light heads/tube aren't growing on trees for me. Lol. But in the interest in both your time and energy as well as the goal I have in mind, I should explore the other options you recommend.

What would be the next step to get more details?

Thank you in advance for your input and guidance.

Brad