Thread: Replacing a module for the first time...not really sure where to start?

Default Replacing a module for the first time...not really sure where to start?

The DPSS green has died (what a surprise) in one of my GS projectors... got my hands on an identical replacement module but not really sure where to begin as regards changing it! Currently procrastinating doing it for fear that I'll be left with no projector at all instead of the current RB projector lol...
    Here's a picture of the unit with the casing open..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16729850_10202980281425425_1606994463_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	51740I'm assuming I need to unscrew the module then yank it and the driver (which is presumably hidden below deck) out and remove the rear plate? Anybody ever worked on a unit with this style of setup?

Thanks!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hey Colin,

You'll be surprised how easy it is if you got an identical replacement. I've been there and it was really easy - just a matter of unscrewing some things and might have even been molex connectors to just plug the new one back in. My three suggestions are:
    1) Work slowly and methodically
    2) Leave yourself enough time to do the swap all at one time, as opposed to getting started and having to come back to it later.
    3) Digital pictures are cheap - take lots of photos with your phone or whatever to refer back to if you forget something or have a question.
    Where you are lucky is everything should just line up and go right back together.
    PM Sent...

3) Digital pictures are cheap - take lots of photos with your phone or whatever to refer back to if you forget something or have a question.
    This is incredibly important. My phone is becoming one of my most useful "lab instruments". Make sure you get images from multiple angles as these will often reveal some little thing you will need to reproduce/replace.

Thanks for the heads up guys! Wouldn't have thought to do that... Going to go at it this weekend, Would you think I should unscrew the rear plate also before starting? Then hopefully remove the driver and module out the rear without needing to move any other components

Tell you what. Fly me over and I'll show you how

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I would be inclined to say flip it over and see if you can remove the bottom plate first. In the end, yes, something will have to be removed - back, side, bottom. Again it's working slowly and methodically and tracing where things go. It should reveal itself fairly easily.
    PM Sent...