Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hey Guys! Check out my tiny one!

wow this tiny one is amazing. You rock!
    can I buy one please?
    mariah

Replied in PM, but for the public record:

Thank you for the kind words! I built this for myself, but I have had a few inquiries like yours. To be honest, the parts for this are relatively expensive compared with a typical Chinese projector, so it is really a "specialty item". The only real advantages to this projector is its tiny form-factor, good single-mode beams and portability as it can run off of a Lion battery.

On the downside is cost (the parts alone are pricier than a Chinese projector) and the galvos probably top out around 22-25Kpps. I see you are in the US, so you would have to get apply for a variance to use this projector professionally (home use is fine). If you are still interested, just let me know and we can work something out. Otherwise, you might want to consider alternative varianced options from a vendor like X-Laser USA or a Chinese laser (for home use) from Lightspace.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

misleading topic title, disappointed

I . . I . . I'm sorry my tiny one disappointed you . .

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I . . I . . I'm sorry my tiny one disappointed you . .
    your tiny one is the talk of PL...
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Nice work, wish I had enough skills to build a similar construction. Was looking for something more compact, yours isn't really "tiny" but still very mobile Wish you all best!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

*more compact*???

i'm not sure how that would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1950 View Post
    Nice work, wish I had enough skills to build a similar construction. Was looking for something more compact, yours isn't really "tiny" but still very mobile Wish you all best!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks, Elizabeth. This one was a relatively easy build because other folks like OPT laser, X-Laser USA and Pangolin did all of the hard work. I just crammed them into a small case.

I've wondered how to make one smaller as well. I'm sure things could be brought down by maybe 20% if someone was resourceful enough to design a custom scanner driver, smaller RGB diode module, etc. This would result in part costs that exceed the current ~$1,200 though. In addition, the concern I have with the one here is the lack of mass serving as a heat sink and that would only be exacerbated by a smaller footprint. The ~400mw module here is crammed into a such a small brass module and the optical plate I fashioned for it is pretty minimalist. Certainly you could introduce other active cooling methods, but that takes up more space, not less. Alternatively, you could use lower power diodes, but then the whole thing becomes pretty useless as an entertainment projector.

All of this said, I'd love to see something more compact that is still semi-practical.

-David

You'll find as I did that you get so small the heat drives the diodes out of alignment. I never bothered to fix it as it's slight. Was going to add spatial filter so it didn't matter but then I'd have 100mw and not worth it. Smallest rob I could muster was 1".

You ARE bringing it to SELEM right?