Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hey Guys! Check out my tiny one!

Thanks, guys. I still haven't figured out what to do with this projector. I also discovered that the battery pack I bought for it died after only three recharges. Thankfully, I received a new one yesterday.

Since tomorrow is the eclipse, perhaps I should bring it along with me to the farm we are going to be viewing it from and do some outdoor lasering during the eclipse. It will likely be my last opportunity as I don't expect to live another century waiting for the next eclipse to pass by my area.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    ........It will likely be my last opportunity as I don't expect to live another century waiting for the next eclipse to pass by my area. -David
    Jeez David ...always the pessimist eh!

Cheers
    PS.
    Someone wise once said: "Old age is not appealing, but becomes acceptable when one considers the alternative"!

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Thanks, guys. I still haven't figured out what to do with this projector.

-David
    Me, I'd make two or three more, stack 'em tightly together and make one amazing, multi-projector show. The more "high-speed scanners" drawing on the same screen area, the more complex the imaging can be. (Note to self)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4674.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	52718

It's a success! The little portable laser projector has succeeded in its first mission to lase Pink Floyd during an eclipse. More pics and videos to follow from the farm we are currently on in Newbury, SC.

David

Edit: Here's a video of the 2.5 minutes of totality we got to enjoy out on the farm!

Last edited by dkumpula; 08-22-2017 at 10:31.

Very nice build! Do you have a link for the battery with built in charger? That could be useful for a lot of things!

Thank you! I've been using this battery, but not for any particular reason other than it looked up to the job.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Silvered mirrors.

I just re-read this, rather than get out of bed and get ready for work and, it brought back the memory about IR and the special mirrors. Have the GITD projectors like you and now Swami been using, all been fitted with the special mirrors and I haven't paid attention to that being necessary? I've been contemplating buying the paint and maybe outfitting an old projector with 405. But, didn't know if I had to think about scanner mirrors now too.
    PM Sent...

6800 mirrors leak a lot. So do 6215. 506 seem better. I don’t have saturns. I have seen saturns Dong 405 so I’d say they work fine. I’ve not seen any that are perfect. All will work and they all leak looks sub 10% leakage. Try it and see. Changing mirrors should not be taken lightly.
    youd prob need to retune the set and risk unbalancing the scanner if your glue job isn’t perfect.

edit. In fact I noticed this with 457 on 6800s back in the argon hene days.

Hey Brad!

I only have one projector with silvered mirrors on Compact 506's. The silvered mirrors were necessary to cover the range the IR range along with everything else from 405nm on up. I spent a lot of time experimenting with IR frequencies and found a good match that would erase glow on Zinc Sulfide based paint. I only made the one projector with IR because I switched to the Earth metal aluminate paints where IR only charges the paint (slightly). Erasing that kind of paint takes deep red and a lot of it. Kecked has come up with many ideas on how to implement an erasing approach on this kind of paint, which I intend to implement shortly.

Regarding mirrors for 405nm, most of the galvos I've run across are OK-ish. The Pangolin stock mirrors are great and most of my glow in the dark builds use Compact 506s. CT-6210 stock mirrors bled 80% of the 405nm, so I decided to replace them with Pangolin stock mirrors. That worked out well. I've also tested a set of PT-40 galvos and their mirrors were OK.

If you want to combine 405nm into a traditional RGB without replacing your visible blue, you'll want one of these. (The 405nm gets introduced last.)

-David