Thread: Looking For Laser Pointer Firsts

Default Looking For Laser Pointer Firsts

I'm an old gas laser guy who started collecting lasers with plasma tubes and crystal rods as diodes and fibers began replacing them. As the collection grew, I had to include laser pointers as well. I think I've got a good representation of those made before 1995 now, but those introduced later have evaded me.

So now I feel the need to complete the group by adding the modern pointers, but I don't know where to start. Does anyone remember the first green DPSS laser introduced to the market? I believe it to be around 1996, as that's when I started seeing green laser collimators for reflecting telescopes. Following that, there were laser pointers at 593nm, 589nm, 473nm (which I think were introduced around 2005), and 405nm (introduced in 2006 after BluRay projectors). I'm looking for the first (or very early) commercial model for all five of these colors. I have a 2010 Wicked Arctic Spyder as the first pointer at 445nm. I also know that 520nm diode laser was introduced in 2012, but am looking for the first commercial pointer incorporating it. Any info will help, and be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Eidetic; 03-06-2017 at 17:47.