Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help diagnosing DT40 amp fault

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    will the amps be available without the galvos for those of us who would like to upgrade our amps?
    Likely will be handled on a case by case basis- in blunt terms, on the competency level of the end user, as well as other things. Tuning the Mach DSP digital amp is a whole different animal which is much easier than a traditional analog driver to tune - once you know what you are doing. Without experience, it is easy to mess things up quickly. I shattered a set of mirrors on a client demo instantly (by clicking the wrong button in the software) the first time I tried operating the program without BB watching - a bit embarrassing but learned quickly!

Also, the PD board on C506 w/ DSP is different than anything we will have ever shipped, so the PD board will need to be changed. Not a difficult task for competent hands, but to inexperienced users they can instantly shear the coil wires inside the galvo if done improperly, making the galvo basically junk. Existing PDs can be used, but the cables are a huge pain in the ass to make, and the crimpers to make them properly are $2000. Instead, the new PD board will share the Saturn connector, so cables will be interchangeable with Saturn and C506. Also a much more durable cable.

Finally, the DSP needs the "AW50" configuration, not the "standard" configuration. Can measure the coil resistance on your current scanners to see which version you have - 1.75 to 2 ohms or so is the AW50, and 2.75 to 3 ohms or so is the Standard.

In most cases, it will be likely most efficient for existing galvos to be returned to Pangolin for the PD swap and tuning to be created and loaded. Not sure on what any of this will cost yet as this is all theoretical and not really up to me, but I know full systems are currently being quoted/paid at $795-$995/set, depending on volume, mirror coating, and number of tunings needed (integrator, PDF, PDFF, etc)
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

sure. i'd be totally into shipping galvos back to be tweaked and turned for amps. no worries. i'd rather have you guys do it than me.

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    Likely will be handled on a case by case basis- in blunt terms, on the competency level of the end user, as well as other things. Tuning the Mach DSP digital amp is a whole different animal which is much easier than a traditional analog driver to tune - once you know what you are doing. Without experience, it is easy to mess things up quickly. I shattered a set of mirrors on a client demo instantly (by clicking the wrong button in the software) the first time I tried operating the program without BB watching - a bit embarrassing but learned quickly!

Also, the PD board on C506 w/ DSP is different than anything we will have ever shipped, so the PD board will need to be changed. Not a difficult task for competent hands, but to inexperienced users they can instantly shear the coil wires inside the galvo if done improperly, making the galvo basically junk. Existing PDs can be used, but the cables are a huge pain in the ass to make, and the crimpers to make them properly are $2000. Instead, the new PD board will share the Saturn connector, so cables will be interchangeable with Saturn and C506. Also a much more durable cable.

Finally, the DSP needs the "AW50" configuration, not the "standard" configuration. Can measure the coil resistance on your current scanners to see which version you have - 1.75 to 2 ohms or so is the AW50, and 2.75 to 3 ohms or so is the Standard.

In most cases, it will be likely most efficient for existing galvos to be returned to Pangolin for the PD swap and tuning to be created and loaded. Not sure on what any of this will cost yet as this is all theoretical and not really up to me, but I know full systems are currently being quoted/paid at $795-$995/set, depending on volume, mirror coating, and number of tunings needed (integrator, PDF, PDFF, etc)
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Compact 506's with the awesome DSP amp is reasonably drool-worthy. Re-tuning with a PC and all of the available diagnostic tools is, dare I say, fun.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Compact 506's with the awesome DSP amp is reasonably drool-worthy. Re-tuning with a PC and all of the available diagnostic tools is, dare I say, fun.

-David
    There are buttons and functions that I still dont know what they do
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

one of them plays old trucker songs from an 8-track. i still haven't figured out why it's there, but it's kind of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    There are buttons and functions that I still dont know what they do
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.