Thread: The Secret of Laserium

Default The Secret of Laserium

The Secret of Laserium

It was right out there. I’m surprised nobody ever noticed. I suppose the non-disclosure agreements and talk about “proprietary technology” distracted everyone from noticing that Shadow Stevens announced what the “secret” was. Over and over in every city he proclaimed, “...but beyond its mechanics, Laserium is an experience. Its effect upon you depends on what you bring to it. If you seek entertainment or relaxation, you may likely find it. If you seek inspiration or hidden significance you may find it also, but if you want explanations and explicit meanings, they will not be there. Laserium is a trip beyond your imagination, and you are about to embark...”

One classic laser show fail is all about explanations and explicit meanings. What a friend calls “laser nut grab” done to the lyric, “Mother, do you think they’ll try to break my balls?”. A minor fail is imagery that flows along at a constant tempo when the song moves into the bridge where the tempo changes. It’s a minor fail because the audience might not mind, but they’ll respond if you do it right. Another major fail is the music choice. Some music is destined for the background. If you’re going to use background music your job is to drag it into the foreground by emphasizing its subtlety not overwhelming it. Stronger music allows more in your face techniques, but know your audience. This is where a good live laserist made a difference.

Laserium is a genre. Since it was first, I’m sure people looked at Ivan and asked, “Whaaaat?” Today other genres have evolved, but I often find myself asking, Whaaaat?” I suppose that art can just evolve - but wouldn't some of you like to take an active role? The reason I wrote this is I’ve seen a number of laser shows over the years where I doubted the people putting the show together had ever asked the question, what am I trying to do?

For what it’s worth...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

when the smoke cleared and the drugs wore off....

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

And there's the reason the film Laserium never went anywhere. But I have to say whoever decided to publish that video with bad data and a laser that was on it last f---ing legs didn't make the best decision in Laserium history.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Oh, and hats off to the crap-tastic stationary!!! starfield and the lumia running at warp speed. There's also a downside to live laserists...