Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helios Laser DAC

Default Helios Laser DAC

Hi all, its been a while... I have got a very cheap 1w (epic lol) rbg laserworld scanner. I'd like to get a DAC which will do the usual waves shapes patterns etc, thats better than the rubbish dmx stuff.

Will this do? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Helios-Las...u8Oba1HPEUM0tg

Is the software option ok? Last controller I had was a pangolin thing, and it cost about 4x my laser... I dont need to go that silly again!

Thanks

Helios has support for LaserShowXpress (LSX) and LaserShowGen.

If any of those softwares suits your needs, it will do the job just perfect.
    Remember that you are limited to the distance of the USB and the Ilda calble. This is not like DMX when it comes to cableing.

Espen
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Yep understand. I did have a pangolin controller years ago. I just want a simple DAC (not a sound card) and software for doing simple but controllable effects etc. I'm guessing by the lack of responses perhaps this isnt the one....

I didn't see this post until now, but the Helios DAC is the least expensive quality DAC that I'm aware of. You may not have received many responses because it is a new offering. The Helios doesn't have much in the way of extras such as DMX control, but performs its primary role as a DAC just fine in my experience. Its also tiny and USB powered which is handy. I can vouch that it works well with LSX and Maxwell, both are quality programs. For what you describe as your needs, the lite version of LSX will allow you to do (and a whole lot more) with one projector for an additional $129. That still adds up to less than the cost of most DACs by themselves.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Didn't see this thread until now either, I made the Helios and can answer any questions you might have. As Espen and David have said it currently supports LSX, Maxwell, LasershowGen, and the project is still quite new so even more software is coming.
    If I dare say so myself I think it will do fine for your needs.
    Last edited by Grix; 03-19-2017 at 14:06.

Thanks for the replies - hopefully you will see this one too.

So basically I need the Helios DAC and software. Since its been years I don't have a preference. I guess I start looking for LSX or Maxwell ?

Someone on Ebay is selling this with LasershowGen is that suitable?

I recomend maxwell if your on a budget. I have yet to use lsx. Have heard plenty of good things. What do you plan on doing with this software? Abstracts? Atmospherics?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

depends on what you want to do.

both are great tools for abstracts, but LSX has a timeline so you can sequence shows to music. personally, i'd get both. maxwell abstracts can be exported as an ilda stream and imported into an LSX timeline.

here's a bit of work i did with LSX:

Quote Originally Posted by madgadget View Post
    Thanks for the replies - hopefully you will see this one too.

So basically I need the Helios DAC and software. Since its been years I don't have a preference. I guess I start looking for LSX or Maxwell ?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Wait, does Maxwell support RIYA DACs? It's not in the list of "natively" supported DACs but I don't know what that means here.

PS. I know this thread started as Helios discussion, sorry. I'm actually considering getting one.