Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2017 Sign up thread

I can't believe this is now 1 month away. No clue where the time goes... looking forward to another great event.
    Who's bringing the Saki?!

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Who's bringing the Saki?!
    I'll bring it if you bring the mop.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I'll bring it if you bring the mop.
    That's a deal !

Looking like I should be able to go! I have an LA gig on the 12th so I'll have to leave on Saturday, but so excited to see everyone again!

Payment will be sent once I'm 100%.
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Betting it won't be your last.
    I've said it before. The day you get married, the birth of your first kid, and the first time you go to SELEM are some of the most important life events you'll ever have and... the importance is not necessarily in that order.
    I can attest to this heavily.
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGarcia View Post
    I can attest to this heavily.
    Yes, I certainly bet YOU can! If there was ever a person who can claim SELEM was life altering, it's you.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Yes, I certainly bet YOU can! If there was ever a person who can claim SELEM was life altering, it's you.

BTW, that was also my first SELEM.

Still looking for a roommate at the Hickory Days Inn from Tuesday August 8th Departing Monday Morn August 14th 2017...Two Double Bed Non Smoking
    Low Low price of $200 each Total for the 6 nights...Over $100 each under the price of Holiday Inn Express!

19 - 25 minutes from Event:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/35.7...2!3e0?hl=en-US

Just discovered there is a 24 hour Waffle House right next door (practically in the parking lot!) for late night meal after kicked out of event. Or even Before heading out.

I will have a rental car and would like to share expenses on transport as well. That would be under $100 each.

Arriving Charlotte Airport via Delta around 12:30pm Tuesday August 8th and departing 1:15pm Monday August 14th if that helps anybody with transportation to and from event.
    Last edited by rodman1369; 07-09-2017 at 18:31.

Hey y'all! I'm super excited about SELEM 11!

I'm especially looking forward about speaking with others that write lasing software. I've written some open source laser software in Python and Rust (a modern "C++ replacement"), and I'd love to collaborate with others. An algorithms talk would be fantastic. I'd also be incredibly interested having a "hackathon" to build something--perhaps an interactive game or demo.

I've written open source EtherDream bindings, but I'm looking to write software for other open source DAC hardware as well. One of my goals is to create an open source hardware abstraction layer that can speak a variety of DAC protocols. If anyone has some DACs for me to try or purchase at a discount, I'd be interested in this as well.

Finally, does anyone have some red analog diodes to sell? I'm looking to repair one of my projectors. I'm a software engineer and don't have much hardware experience, and I never got around to fixing my projector last year. Some help with this would be greatly appreciated. I can answer any questions about the hardware upfront so that I can get the correct replacement parts lined up. (If you can help, thanks! But no worries if not.)

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Friday and Saturday nights are officially extended until 2 AM! We've typically requested this on an ad-hoc basis in past years and passed a "tip jar" around in an effort to bribe our babysitter so we could stay late. Well, this year we just built that extra time right into the budget! So we're good to go for Pink Floyd in the Auditorium from Midnight until 2 AM both nights. (And Club-SELEM will also be in full swing until 2 AM for those last 2 nights, although we *must* keep the volume down this year so we don't get the police involved like last year...)
    This is incredibly awesome! Club SELEM was epic! We'll keep the volume down.

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    2. Chat system coming back? That was useful. What was it called again?
    GroupMe! It's incredibly useful. I've used it a bunch since we were introduced to it at SELEM last year.

If there is a web based signage thing that might be useful, where a few computers can show it on LCD pulling via web (caferteria/main bldg/gym) and hopefully pick up any changes in schedule that are made on the hosted server? I haven't looked in this space in a while.
    I'm actually super interested in this area as I want to do an "informatics display system" build for my apartment. Does anyone have expertise with these? I'd love to ask all sorts of questions!

I keep thinking I can't come up with anything to contribute, but I might have one. Would anyone be interested in a presentation about free Linux software that allows you to route lighting protocols? A free way to go from ArtNet (DMX-512 over ethernet) or 1.31N Streaming ACN over to physical DMX-512, Color Kinetics KiNet and other protocols? You can build an endpoint with a Pi and a $5 dongle for a sub $60 ArtNet to DMX512/others.
    YES YES YES YES YES! Please! If nothing else, we have to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by scnlns View Post
    Just registered! First SELEM and my birthday will be on Sunday. Ferrous256 and I will want to do a Laser Juice demo. I am looking forward to playing with the Z-5 and any other synths.
    I'm super excited to meet you!

Quote Originally Posted by scnlns View Post
    Is anyone else interested in a laser programming round table discussion?
    Oh yeah! That's my principal interest here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumia View Post
    Second, I talked with Adam a month or so ago, and I offered to talk about the mathematics behind the scenes of Analog and Digital (or Hybrid) laser graphics engines if there is enough interest. But I would like to get with swamidog, SaltyRobot (or whoever else does LSX equations), as well as anyone using Pangolin software (or whatever is similar to LSX equations within Pangolin software / I just don't know) - basically the procedural mathematics used in today’s mainstream software. PM me (or email me which I prefer).

My software image generation system is a bit different (and open ended at this point, since I am still writing / developing it), as anyone who saw an early preview of it last year. But the methods used for laser graphics generation (streaming abstract and/or digital frame based images with animation) are similar, to the extent the commercial software allows scripting or procedural mathematics to be done in creating the graphic (again abstract and/or digital framed images with animation). It is worth exploring the mathematics in any event - again if there is enough interest, as I suspect there is...

Please let me or Adam (or dkumpala?) or whoever is organizing the talks, and I will put together a good hour’s worth of talking points and demos.
    ALSO - please post what you want to learn or know about when it comes to abstract and or image generation. Maybe a couple talks spaced a day apart, or whatever you/we decide - it's fine with me.

Thanks,

Lumia (Aron)
    Aron, your demo last year was *amazing*. I can't state it enough. I really want to learn the math behind the work you're doing.

To be completely honest, I want to replicate it. My interest lies in writing laser projected video games, and your work is incredibly amenable to that.

I'll send you a PM soon.
    lasers.iobrand.io • bt at brand dot io • echelon at github (has some laser projector codes in Python and Rust)

3. If there is a web based signage thing that might be useful, where a few computers can show it on LCD pulling via web (caferteria/main bldg/gym) and hopefully pick up any changes in schedule that are made on the hosted server? I haven't looked in this space in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    I'm actually super interested in this area as I want to do an "informatics display system" build for my apartment. Does anyone have expertise with these? I'd love to ask all sorts of questions!
    Maybe it sounds too easy, but perhaps a laptop or monitor with a running a browser with live #selem11 twitter feed? (or perhaps #selemgoestoeleven ) People can access it via computer, mobile device, etc. It kinda overlaps with the GroupMe announcements, also.