Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2017 Sign up thread

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    so what you are saying is we need to kill 5 bottles in 90 minutes? I'm up for the challenge who's with me?

Uhhh...Yes, please!

so what you are saying is we need to kill 5 bottles in 90 minutes? I'm up for the challenge who's with me?
    I'm in!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    Are they still ok with us dumping trailers inside the fence area?
    As far as I know, yes. Figure we can put two right by the loading dock (so long as the parking spaces are still open), and possibly park two more in the side-drive by the cafeteria (so long as they are far enough back that they don't interfere with the sinking asphalt near the steps).

And of course, there's never an issue with loading or unloading back there. We just have to move our cars when we're done, because they don't want us taking up all the parking spaces that the teachers/administrators use.

Remember the very first pre-SELEM dinner party at The Artist's Cafe? I left to go pick up Steve Roberts at the hotel, and when I returned my son was drunk off his ass, Haden Hale was still buying people shots, and the bar was all out of Patrone... Not bad for 45 minutes! The bar tab that year topped 4 figures. (Thankfully, Pangolin footed the bill for us that year!)

That being said, if we tried to kill 5 bottles this year, I think we'd all end up in the hospital! For sure I can't drink like I used to...

By the way - an interesting little wrinkle has cropped up regarding this year's plans for the auditorium:

I got a panicked call from John at the venue the other day. It seems that the large movie screen that hangs in front of the main curtain just fell down and damned-near killed some poor sap who was standing on the stage. (Fortunately he heard the axle detach above him and jumped out of the way at the last second.) But the screen is ruined (torn in a few places, and the hoist mechanism and axle is hopelessly broken). So there is no movie screen in there now. They will be getting a new one, but not in time for SELEM.

Fear not! We have a solution... Remember the cyclorama scrim at the back of the auditorium? (The one we used to use for graphics years ago, back when SELEM was just a weekend event?) The plan is to move that whole thing to the front of the stage (just behind the proscenium but still in front of the main curtain) and hang it there so we will still have a display screen. The good part about this is that we will have a much wider space to project on (basically the entire width and height of the proscenium arch). The bad part is that it will be a little more difficult to move things around from back-stage to front-stage once it is in place.

Given that we need to get a good bit of gear loaded onto the stage, I told John to hold off on mounting the cyclorama scrim until after we got everything positioned on the stage. Then we can hang the scrim sometime in the afternoon or evening on Tuesday. We may end up helping to put this up, just so it goes smoothly, but John assured me that it wouldn't be a big deal and he could do it himself. We'll see I guess. But once it's up, we can close the main curtain behind it to fully-separate the auditorium from the rest of the stage area.

I've already spoken with a few folks about this, and I don't think it will be a problem at all. Truthfully, having the larger canvas to display on should be pretty cool! Only real difference is that the cyclorama isn't quite as reflective as the movie screen was, but given the amount of power we have in the auditorium I don't think it will be an issue. (It will also give us a bit more space back stage for the buy-and-sell area, which is cool.)

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

20W in the auditorium..

go!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    As far as I know, yes. Figure we can put two right by the loading dock (so long as the parking spaces are still open), and possibly park two more in the side-drive by the cafeteria (so long as they are far enough back that they don't interfere with the sinking asphalt near the steps).

And of course, there's never an issue with loading or unloading back there. We just have to move our cars when we're done, because they don't want us taking up all the parking spaces that the teachers/administrators use.

Remember the very first pre-SELEM dinner party at The Artist's Cafe? I left to go pick up Steve Roberts at the hotel, and when I returned my son was drunk off his ass, Haden Hale was still buying people shots, and the bar was all out of Patrone... Not bad for 45 minutes! The bar tab that year topped 4 figures. (Thankfully, Pangolin footed the bill for us that year!)

That being said, if we tried to kill 5 bottles this year, I think we'd all end up in the hospital! For sure I can't drink like I used to...

By the way - an interesting little wrinkle has cropped up regarding this year's plans for the auditorium:

I got a panicked call from John at the venue the other day. It seems that the large movie screen that hangs in front of the main curtain just fell down and damned-near killed some poor sap who was standing on the stage. (Fortunately he heard the axle detach above him and jumped out of the way at the last second.) But the screen is ruined (torn in a few places, and the hoist mechanism and axle is hopelessly broken). So there is no movie screen in there now. They will be getting a new one, but not in time for SELEM.

Fear not! We have a solution... Remember the cyclorama scrim at the back of the auditorium? (The one we used to use for graphics years ago, back when SELEM was just a weekend event?) The plan is to move that whole thing to the front of the stage (just behind the proscenium but still in front of the main curtain) and hang it there so we will still have a display screen. The good part about this is that we will have a much wider space to project on (basically the entire width and height of the proscenium arch). The bad part is that it will be a little more difficult to move things around from back-stage to front-stage once it is in place.

Given that we need to get a good bit of gear loaded onto the stage, I told John to hold off on mounting the cyclorama scrim until after we got everything positioned on the stage. Then we can hang the scrim sometime in the afternoon or evening on Tuesday. We may end up helping to put this up, just so it goes smoothly, but John assured me that it wouldn't be a big deal and he could do it himself. We'll see I guess. But once it's up, we can close the main curtain behind it to fully-separate the auditorium from the rest of the stage area.

I've already spoken with a few folks about this, and I don't think it will be a problem at all. Truthfully, having the larger canvas to display on should be pretty cool! Only real difference is that the cyclorama isn't quite as reflective as the movie screen was, but given the amount of power we have in the auditorium I don't think it will be an issue. (It will also give us a bit more space back stage for the buy-and-sell area, which is cool.)

Adam
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Damn it

This sounds fun and all except for the fact that I gave up alcohol
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Adam
    I have a 6 x 8 DaLite fastfold in my truck that is destined for SELEM. It was headed for the gym I think for abstracts in the disco or something. Could use it on the stage if you needed if the gym peeps are cool with it. It's smaller than the house screen was (6' high, 8' wide and is on a fold out stand.) There *is* a 2nd one somewhere at the magfest warehouse that belongs to my dept as well, and a friend is grabbing my DBX Driverack unit for the gym so they can RTA the room and get a nice solid response from your PA (Oh by the way, gonna hook a driverack PA up between your mixer and the PA to flatten the EQ curve based on RTA calibration of the gym yadda yadda. ) If I have enough notice, like today, I can ask friend to grab 2nd screen from warehouse and bring it back down to Northern VA for me to pick up from him Sunday along with the video encoder and audio processor.

Quote Originally Posted by singlemode View Post
    If your projector isn't needed anywhere else, you're welcome to add it to my live setup in the gym and give Beyond a go! My theme is "needs moar buttons" - APC40 + APC40mkII + Launchpad mini + touchscreen, 5 or 7 RGB projectors, and a couple of my own builds to add a new wavelength to the madness
    I'll be bringing the same setup as last year, 6 RGB's + Franken Mobo for the Truss. I hope we have a couple different trusses there or can mount over/under since it looks like we'll both have center rigs. Am bringing a couple extra Plutos and some Leos for laserdock or mapping or whatever they're needed for. Maybe I'll stop by the lighting shop tomorrow and see about some totems.

As an aside, if anyone can make it to Walmart (or Walmart.com) buy yourself a Big Joe Beanbag chair, they're under $30 and comfy for the club. We're bringing some, but we'll need MOOOOORE!

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    I'll be bringing the same setup as last year, 6 RGB's + Franken Mobo for the Truss. I hope we have a couple different trusses there or can mount over/under since it looks like we'll both have center rigs. Am bringing a couple extra Plutos and some Leos for laserdock or mapping or whatever they're needed for. Maybe I'll stop by the lighting shop tomorrow and see about some totems.

As an aside, if anyone can make it to Walmart (or Walmart.com) buy yourself a Big Joe Beanbag chair, they're under $30 and comfy for the club. We're bringing some, but we'll need MOOOOORE!
    I'm bringing a truss as well (1.5" tubes), so we should have some flexibility. I have 2 Big Joe beanbags as well, but the truss + argon are probably stealing any extra space in my car that could fit them, so hopefully Ethan has some extra room in his truck to toss one or both in. The best part about ordering those from Amazon was receiving giant boxes with prominent "BJ - BLACK XL" labels on them

Just a thought: if anyone has a small, portable PA they could bring, that would be very helpful for presentations. Not talking about a full-blown system here - just a powered cabinet or two with microphone inputs and maybe a 1/4 inch or RCA jack as well so we could plug in a computer for line-out music. Thinking this would be ideal for the gallery area.

I could steal one of the top cabinets from the sound system in the auditorium, but if someone has room to bring something more portable it would make things much easier...

Regarding the screen, I think we will be just fine. However, I will have a 16x20 screen with me for the outdoor show after SELEM, so in a pinch we could set that up anywhere. But I don't think we will need it until Sunday night.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just a thought: if anyone has a small, portable PA they could bring, that would be very helpful for presentations. Not talking about a full-blown system here - just a powered cabinet or two with microphone inputs and maybe a 1/4 inch or RCA jack as well so we could plug in a computer for line-out music. Thinking this would be ideal for the gallery area.

I could steal one of the top cabinets from the sound system in the auditorium, but if someone has room to bring something more portable it would make things much easier...
    I was thinking one of the QSC's for that, prior to the plan of using them in the auditorium but, I also have a wireless SM-58 handheld or lavalier we can use if necessary for presenters as well.
    PM Sent...