Thread: Playing With Pulses

Default Playing With Pulses

As much as I look forward to making holograms with a pulsed ruby laser, poking holes in razor blades is a close second. Here's a nice bunch of sparks made as the 1 Joule pulse of light sends molten steel spitting out of the hole. I should probably protect the face of my lens with a piece of glass! Anyway, always a fun thing to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JK Hole A.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	436.8 KB 
ID:	51896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JK Hole B.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	504.5 KB 
ID:	51897

This one has me stumped. Notice the particle track that impacts on the top edge of the lens holder. How can THAT happen?!? The lens is perpendicular to the input beam. A particle should not be able to hit the top edge like that. And notice the ricochet path (and its reflection). Where did a glowing particle, traveling on that apparent path, come from if not the hole being poked? I'm stumped!

Name:	JK Hole C.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	401.8 KB 
ID:	51898

... I don't see anything wrong - all the "weird" traces are secondary or tertiary particles/childs, coming from exploded "parents"

Viktor

This is the trace that confuses me. The hole is being poked on the axis of the lens. The shutter was held open for one second. The laser pulse was 30ns long in the second half of the exposure.

Name:	JK Hole D.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	51899

Maybe it's not really impacting the top of the lens holder? Maybe the particle trail is splitting/forking in mid-air right above the lens holder. Many of the other trails appear to fork or split without impacting anything. Puzzlin' evidence. Cool photos!

... this should be a "spontanous" explosion in air, not an impact.

Here some "sparkling" too with much less power - around 50 Watts CW (modulated with maybe 500 nanoseconds per pulse) on a spot of roughly 30 microns:

https://vimeo.com/207474893

Pulsed or Q-switched lasers will give some hundred Kilowatts to Megawatts with some nanoseconds pulse times, so will be much more "impressive" too - I'm rewiring the scanner and drivers, to insert pulsed lasers -- will test this next week ...

Viktor

Dealing with pulsed lasers as well, I find it convenient to mix in an "aiming laser" with a very different wavelength such as a low power green. A long or short pass filter can do this. That way when you want to know where the pulse will land or where it will focus, you don't have to do it by trial and error.