Thread: how to wire galvo driver signal to ILDA with only X gnd and Y?

Default how to wire galvo driver signal to ILDA with only X gnd and Y?

i have a small 10K scanner set from china which has a signal connector with 3 pins
    the 3 pins are X, GND, Y
    the signal required that manufacturer told is "Max 10V input singal"

now i have my ilda connector which has X+ (pin 1) X- (pin 14) Y+ (pin 2) Y- (pin 15) and GND (pin 25)

how would i wire this correctly? i use a pangolin FB3-QS. isnt this outputting +5v to -5v?

Use X+ Y+ and GND.

would'nt this give only half angle when using it with a FB3-QS as it only outputs 5v?

Quote Originally Posted by laserjohnn View Post
    would'nt this give only half angle when using it with a FB3-QS as it only outputs 5v?
    Yes. But, you have to work with what you have. I'd contact Pangolin AND your galvo manufacturer to see what they recommend in that case.

Your only other alternative would be to build a differential receiver front-end for that set of scanners. All you need is two op amps and some resistors. (You already have a +/- power supply for the scanners which can also power the op amps. Suggest using something like a TL-082.) This would give you back the full signal deflection.

Note that your statement about the FB3 "only putting out 5 volts" is misleading: it outputs +/- 5 volts, just like every other controller that follows the ILDA spec. The ILDA spec for X and Y signalling is +/- 5V *differential*, which means if X+ is at +5V and X- is at -5V, that yields a +10 net signal. Now reverse those numbers, and you get a -10V net signal. The total swing between them is 20 volts, even though the voltage on any one pin (X+ or X-) never goes above +5 volts or below -5 volts.

The issue is that the manufacturer of that cheap chinese galvo set did not add a simple $0.20 chip to handle the differential-to-single-ended conversion on the input stage of the amp. So your choices are to add the op amps yourself, or live with half the max scan angle by only using X+, Y+, and GND.

Adam